PDA

View Full Version : drafting detail views

amindez9667
2009-09-18, 01:50 PM
Hey Guys

i saw this done before but cannot remember how.

What is the process of exporting a drafting view or detail view form on revit project ot another?

thanks for you help

BIMTom
2009-09-18, 02:05 PM
It's an import process that is done from the project you want to copy the detail into.

It's a command called Insert from File, and lets you import drafting views, schedules, and sheets that contain drafting views or schedules.

amindez9667
2009-09-18, 03:35 PM
oh ok

do i need to export my views and schedules first?

if so that is the process in doing so?

thank you

SCShell
2009-09-18, 03:43 PM
Hey there,
You may also wish to set a lot of these up in you Template. I have all of my schedules, keyed schedules and typical drafting details. A much more effective method I feel.

Also, you can simply cut and paste between two open projects.

Good Luck
STeve

amindez9667
2009-09-18, 03:48 PM
oh ok no need to export

very good

thanks for your help

patricks
2009-09-19, 01:06 PM
oh ok no need to export

very good

thanks for your help

Yes, the Insert from File function was a huge time saver, added back around version 9 or 9.1 I believe.

Only thing I don't like is not having the ability to overwrite duplicate-named families with what's in the destination project, like you can when you Transfer Project Standards. Instead it just appends a 2, 3, 4, etc. onto the ends of the family names and type names, which cause MAJOR cluttering of my detail component family list.

cmolina
2009-09-19, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't recommend adding these drafting views into your template unless you were absolutely sure they were going to apply to every project. To use the insert from view option in 2009 just go to the file menu, then to insert from file, and then select views. Then just browse to the file you want to pull the drafting views from. In 2010 go to the insert tab on the ribbon, then insert from file and then insert views from file. So no need to export anything or have another project open. It is possible to copy and paste from one project to another when you have both open, but for importing drafting views this is not necessary.