PDA

View Full Version : CAD on the side

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 12:49 AM
Has anyone ever worked any AutoCAD drafting on the side or freelance?

mom of 3
2004-11-12, 01:16 AM
yeah, I have..........but now I do it full time so I don't bother unless it's for myself or friends.......what is the motive of your questioning........????

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 01:46 AM
I was asking because I'm looking to take on some side work and take on an extra challenge. My main background is landscape architecture / engineering but I also have an architectural background too so I'm a little versitile.

Brian Myers
2004-11-12, 01:48 AM
Yes, I have done some side work using AutoCAD. It's one advantage of my field of Residential Design, there is always side work if you put yourself out there...

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 02:06 AM
So, I guess I'm looking for some direction as far as "putting myself out there" and landing some drafting work... any suggestions?

mom of 3
2004-11-12, 01:36 PM
mine was just word of mouth..........I was a student at the time, a friend of mine wanted an addition to her house, I needed a project for school, I went ahead & did it. she took it to an architect to have it approved, wala!!!!!!! she's got an addition now. another friend of mine had me design a finished basement for him. since I was a student, I didn't put much effort into it, but another friend of mine basically goes to some of the new home builders...........he'd made some business cards, passed them around..........but just put a small ad in a newspaper, home guide, stuff like that, to at least get a start.

rplato
2004-11-12, 02:02 PM
My little brother is a home builder, so I've met several home builders through his association with them. Every one of them, without exception, has asked me if I work on house plans. I don't (purely Civil), but my spousal unit is an Architect, so she has picked up all of the side work she can handle just through these few builders.
Around here, they are all listed in one section in the small community newspaper, so that might be a place to start. Good Luck!!

Globey
2004-11-12, 02:12 PM
So, I guess I'm looking for some direction as far as "putting myself out there" and landing some drafting work... any suggestions?
LIE.....My friend has been doing civil design work for himself since 2001. He can make in about 15 hours worth of work, what I almost make in a week. I dont mean grandoise lies to land you a job, but sell yourself and your abilities by putting that range just beyond what you know you can accomplish, work hard, and be devoted to all the hype you put out there to make sure it works, and you will build a solid client base...Use every resource available, contact just about every engineering firm in your state, and market yourself. Also make sure you know how to write up a contract for work, my friend has gotten burned out of money for work he performed before, because the contract was sketchy, or just simply wasnt enough info there...I would love to work for myself, but im too lazy too do all the research, marketing, business liscence etc....

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 02:37 PM
I'm not much of a liar but I can "enhance" my appearance a little and create a business/portfolio card on mini cd's...

Globey
2004-11-12, 02:39 PM
I'm not much of a liar but I can "enhance" my appearance a little and create a business/portfolio card on mini cd's...
Then send out any type of marketing flyers, cd's of your work on PDF's; open up your yellow pages, and start sending it out. That is how my friend got started...

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 02:43 PM
The only thing that bothers me is the whole legal side... should I attach disclaimers, etc.???

Globey
2004-11-12, 02:49 PM
The only thing that bothers me is the whole legal side... should I attach disclaimers, etc.???
My friend Bill, he comes on AUGI on occasion, he ussually bugs me with his autocad questions, but I will try to get him to respond to you, to help you develop something, get him to let you know how he started out. Trust me though he has the type of personality that he is always pushing his business, and he does well at it. Even when that means outside of working at his house, sometimes he has to work at there offices but he remains constantly busy...its been almost 4 years he has been working out of his house, and he is almost at the point of actually hiring people on because he is getting swamped. Then again, he is more then a drafter, he knows civil design, and all the legalities involved with that as well...so along with drafting, you have too have a specific skill.

mom of 3
2004-11-12, 02:49 PM
HE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, let me elaborate a little..........a friend of mine has a rental & he got screwed because he didn't have any.............he's changing his lease agreement...........

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 02:57 PM
"Then again, he is more then a drafter, he knows civil design, and all the legalities involved with that as well...so along with drafting, you have too have a specific skill."

Interesting enough, I do have background skills. I'm a grad. in landscape architecture along with my CAD degree. I also have 4 years experience in civil / planning

Globey
2004-11-12, 03:06 PM
Interesting enough, I do have background skills. I'm a grad. in landscape architecture along with my CAD degree. I also have 4 years experience in civil / planning
Then you definitely want too focus on that, and it will be assumed you know cad work, but knowing your field, even up to the level of proj mgmt would be your strong suit...

rob_2003
2004-11-12, 11:07 PM
so I guess I should start by putting together a portfolio of PDF files and start making some business cards.... git-r-dun !!!!

sid.fontenot550
2004-11-15, 08:02 PM
Rob,
I have been working for an EE in town now for about 4-1/2 years. I do power, lighting, fire, mechanical,and specials systems dwgs for him.
I work on a per hour basis and once I am done I email the dwgs to him. If everything is fine he signs his stamp and it is off to construction. Nothing is legally bound to me since his name and company name are the only references on it. My name or initials are not on the dwgs.
I basically got started by contacting engineering/architectural/surveyors personally and asking them if they needed assistance on a part time basis.
This one firm did not have a designer or drafter in-house so it worked out great. I basically stay busy enough w/ him so I terminated all of the other contacts.
I usually work 4 to 5 nights a week. Depending on work load and when the project is needed, I have worked until 1 or 2 in the morning.

greg.robson
2004-11-15, 08:27 PM
My 2 cents worth.

The courts have ruled that the company you work for could be held liable for your outside work if you spend any time or use any resources or use any knowledge gained at your place of employment for your outside work. A lot of companies have a "no moonlighting" policy because of this.

Also, in some states, if you use the term "architectural design" or "architectural drafting" you may be violating the law as holding yourself out as a architect, which means someone licensed to practice architecture.

Basically, if you design something you are liable for it. If someone comes to you and says, "draw this" and you do not change it in any way, you are not.

Be careful in copying (or redrawing with minor modifications) plans that were purchased from a plan book, you may be violating copyright laws.

Most architects will not "approve" or stamp a set of drawing they did not produce, so if a stamp is required, you may need to be working under an architect's guidance before he can approve them. (An architect's stamp implies he is taking the liability for the work contained in the drawings.)

I would suggest you look into the laws for your state.

sid.fontenot550
2004-11-15, 08:31 PM
My 2 cents worth.

The courts have ruled that the company you work for could be held liable for your outside work if you spend any time or use any resources or use any knowledge gained at your place of employment for your outside work. A lot of companies have a "no moonlighting" policy because of this.

Just be careful.

Hey Greg.(the "down to earth Architect":-))
Yes I did research that and I had to make sure there was no "conflict of interest" since I work for a power company and a lot of references of the EE's dwgs have callouts for "Meters by BLANK power company".

greg.robson
2004-11-15, 08:41 PM
"Down to Earth" - Jimmy Buffett's first album (long before CD's)

I edited my last post, take a look.