PDA

View Full Version : Revit and 3ds Max

Chunk
2004-11-12, 03:41 PM
We're started playing with getting our Revit models in to 3ds Max. Anyone know of a plug-in for 3ds Max that will allow us to bring in .rvt files? We've tried the .rvt to .dwg export then bringing that data in to Max but have noticed the .dwg file is huge and we lose some of the model during the export (ceilings for one). I'm sure Discreet and Autodesk are working on a solution but we could use a work around in the meantime.

Anyone....?

aaronrumple
2004-11-12, 03:50 PM
Which ceiling family are you using? You shouldn't lose any objects....

Chunk
2004-11-12, 03:58 PM
Generic gypsum board and 2x4 t-bar families. I thought it odd as well, haven't had that problem with other .rvt to .dwg exports. I'm putting that part of the problem down to 'user error'.

Big question is about the plug-in. Doing the .rvt to .dwg export then linking the .dwg to Max seems like a work-around. I'm hoping there's something out there that will streamline the process.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-11-12, 04:24 PM
max can't import rvt's and i don't think we will see native rvt linking anytime in the near future.

However the soon to be released Viz-Revit plug-in allows for Revit materials to survive the dwg link intact and be converted to viz materials. You can also continue to re-export out of Revit when changes happen and those changes will appear in viz upon reload, and any material changes you made in viz remain on the change geometry. It's very smooth.

but, it remains to be seen at this point weather this plug-in will work for Max.

regarding the ceiling, I had a problem with basic ceilings having flipped normals, could that be it?

hth,

Z

Chunk
2004-11-12, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the insight czoog. We'll have to do some more discover on the disappearing ceilings. I hadn't considered it being a normals issue....

Thanks again.

tbarnesarc
2004-11-12, 06:10 PM
If you have Viz 2005 and Max they will work together. You could use the Revit-Viz plug-in (when it comes out) to get the model into Viz with Materials then if you could save the Viz file (which is a native Max file) and open it in Max. There is really no reason to use Max unless you are doing some animations that aren't available in Viz or that Max is what you have purchased.

PS. If you are having problems with export/import i.e. ceilings disappearing try importing small chunks of the model then "merge" those files into your Max file. I had the same problems back in Max 2.4 and Viz 3. That usually cured the problem

Chunk
2004-11-12, 06:37 PM
A wealth of information! Thanks again everyone. Taylor you're spot on with our desire to use Max. It's the level of animation we are looking for. We've already started trying to integrate a Viz step anticipating the release of a Revit-Vix plugin.

I'm in first steps with this process and am currently at Revit to .dwg to Viz to Max. Sounds like y'all have more experience with what I'm trying to acheive.