PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on with my view's graphics???

patricks
2009-09-25, 01:31 PM
Something is afoot with the graphics in several views, and it seems to be a random occurrence.

As we progress into the CD phase of our documentation, we usually switch the project browser to Not On Sheets so that only views not already on sheets will display, and then we work on viewports on sheets directly in the sheet view itself, using activate/deactivate view.

Lately I've noticed that while working in one view on the sheet, when everything else should be gray or halftone, certain objects in certain other views will show full strength. I'm talking like a couple of walls and doors in an enlarged plan view on the same sheet or something.

And then what's worse, if I click on the callout in the plan view I'm in to open the enlarged plan that's on the same sheet as the floor plan, the graphics will look like it did on the sheet! Either part or all of that enlarged view I just opened will be halftone, even though I can pre-highlight or select anything in that view.

No amount of hitting F5 refresh will work. Usually if I close out of that view, and close out of that sheet view altogether, then go back to the view (expand the sheet in the PB and open the view directly) then it will show up correctly. But dang it's pretty annoying to work that way! I've been working directly on sheets like this since version 6.1 in 2004 and I've never seen it behave this way before version 2010.

cliff collins
2009-09-25, 01:54 PM
I suspect the Direct 3D change from Open GL and graphics cards may be the issue.

Try turning hardware accelleration on/off and see if there is any difference.

When in doubt, shut down and restart--may also clear it up?

cheers.......

patricks
2009-09-25, 02:33 PM
It has done this before, with restarts in between. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.

My nVIDIA Quadro FX550 graphics card supports DirectX 9, but I run with hardware accel off, due to 2010 being very unstable on my machine if I turn it on.

dhurtubise
2009-09-25, 03:24 PM
Is it off in Revit and on your card drivers?
Im assuming you are running the latest drivers. Try installing Direct 10

patricks
2009-09-25, 06:32 PM
Actually I'm not sure if 9 or 9.1 or 10 is installed on this machine.

I have HW Accel turned off in Revit, but it's on under Windows Display Properties > Advanced.

dhurtubise
2009-09-25, 06:39 PM
Press Windows + x and type dxdiag then enter you will get the DirectX version

patricks
2009-09-25, 07:06 PM
Well I just installed the latest DirectX end user runtime files from MS, and it said it was updates to DirectX 9.0c. Does DirectX 10 even work on WinXP 32-bit?

Anyway, I did that, turned on graphics acceleration in Revit, and now there's even more weird stuff. Other views on sheets are still halftone when I open the view while another view is active on the same sheet. Also when I pre-highlight a view on a sheet, the rectangle around the view that appears looks like it's jagged or broken in some places. gahhhh :banghead:

gwnelson
2009-09-25, 07:33 PM
There's a new driver on NV's site - 191.00.

patricks
2009-09-25, 09:05 PM
Wow I've actually been running all afternoon with GA turned on in Revit with no crashes *knock on wood*, probably because I disabled nVIDIA's nView software to fix the mysterious square I was getting when launching 2010.

I had previously rolled back my nVIDIA driver to 178.46 to try to fix the crashing issues, and that never worked. Perhaps this latest driver will work better.

patricks
2009-09-28, 12:35 PM
No change with nVIDIA driver 191.00. Still get bits and pieces of a pre-highlight box when rolling the mouse over a view on a sheet, or sometimes nothing at all. Opening another view on a sheet directly while a view on that sheet is activated still results in part or all of the view showing up halftone.