PDA

View Full Version : Stair rail help!!

crl_arch
2009-09-28, 07:46 PM
I know this is probably a basic issue, but I can't find it anywhere else, so here's my question:

I want to show my stair handrails offset 1 1/2" from the wall. I've tried to edit stair and rail settings for offsets and it is just not working. I'm new to stairs, so I'm sure I'm missing something. How do I get the railings to be 1 1/2" clear from the edge of the stair?

Thanks!

cporter.207875
2009-09-28, 07:52 PM
I know this is probably a basic issue, but I can't find it anywhere else, so here's my question:

I want to show my stair handrails offset 1 1/2" from the wall. I've tried to edit stair and rail settings for offsets and it is just not working. I'm new to stairs, so I'm sure I'm missing something. How do I get the railings to be 1 1/2" clear from the edge of the stair?

Thanks!

If your rail offset is 0'-0" it will be centered over the inside edge of stringer/outside edge of tread. Negative offsets will push them away from the stair (toward wall). So measure the distance between your wall and edge of tread, do a little math, and you'll know what to set the offset so that your rail will be located at 1-1/2" clear from face of wall.

wmullett
2009-09-28, 07:53 PM
It all depends on how you define your railing.

When you set up your railing, you can give a value for where everything is in relation to your sketch line. Most users assume the default which puts the center of the profile on your sketch-line. Thus, you should move your sketch line accordingly. But you could also keep the sktechline against your wall and define the railing accordingly.

crl_arch
2009-09-28, 07:56 PM
Thansk . . just to avoid trying to find the right place, where do I set the offset for the rail? Is it under Baluster offset or under Edit Rail under Rail Structure. This is so confusing . . .

Thanks!

crl_arch
2009-09-28, 07:58 PM
I also want to have the rail be part of the stair properties and not do a manual one separately. I tried the manual route and just couldn't get anywhere with it.

Once I get through this spot, I'll need to go and do a stair tutorial or something because this is just not making any sense to me at all at this point.

crl_arch
2009-09-28, 08:03 PM
And I also just discovered you can't edit the rail after you create the stair, so I have to delete the stair and create a new one every time I troublshoot the railing offsets? I must be missing something ;(

cporter.207875
2009-09-28, 08:04 PM
Thansk . . just to avoid trying to find the right place, where do I set the offset for the rail? Is it under Baluster offset or under Edit Rail under Rail Structure. This is so confusing . . .

Thanks!

Edit the Rail Structure to choose yoor offsets. Balusters are the vertical pieces, which you might consider eliminating for the wall-side railing.

You can choose your rail type during stair creating, but you can't edit the railing properties while in stair sketch mode. You'll either have to define your rail types propertly in advance, or select the rail afterward and modify its properties.

cporter.207875
2009-09-28, 08:05 PM
And I also just discovered you can't edit the rail after you create the stair, so I have to delete the stair and create a new one every time I troublshoot the railing offsets? I must be missing something ;(

You can select the rail independent of the stair.

crl_arch
2009-09-28, 08:10 PM
OK, I think I have it . . .Thanks Cporter!

This seems so bass ackwards, but I'll survive .. .