PDA

View Full Version : How to cut "Structural Framing - Complex and Trusses" instances?

the.one
2009-09-29, 07:41 PM
So I built my own Double Tee beam using the 'Metric Structural Framing - Complex and Trusses' template. I did this to avoid having to cope with the auto setback of the default DT template that is based on the "Beams and Braces" template.

Now> After having placed an instance of this beam (truss) family in my project - is there a way to cut it to a custom shape? Say I want to cut the end of the beam at an angle - do I have to make those edits in the family, or can it be done in the project file?

Cheers

RAC 2010 SP1

dhurtubise
2009-09-29, 08:47 PM
Add a Void in the family and control it with parameters

the.one
2009-09-30, 05:22 AM
Add a Void in the family and control it with parameters

I know - thanks.

I was hoping it could be done outside of the family, i.e. in the project itself.
So maybe it can't be done that way?

patricks
2009-09-30, 02:06 PM
You could do an in-place void cut that should cut the framing, but that will get somewhat hairy if you have tons of them. Best to put a void cut in the family with a reference line to control the angle.

andrew166984
2011-03-17, 07:40 PM
I've put a void with parameters that control the angle at which to cut the HSS structural member. It works well in the family environment, but when I load the family into the project ... the element deletes itself.

It seems that the void cutting into the member is create this error.

I modified an existing default HSS family. Thanks.