PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to Cad issues

Joseph TVM
2009-09-30, 04:15 PM
Hi

I am a beginner in Revit and I am involved in works of As builts and space management. Currently we are using Autocad for this purpose. What I need is that while we create models in Revit and export it to cad the dimensions seem to be non assosciative. Can I get the dimensions as assosciative when exported to Cad. Is there any tool controlling that in Revit?
Also in case of columns I need to get the column covered up by the wall in Autocad. But when exporting from Revit it does not appear, only the column appears while placing structural columns and only covering comes out when placing architectural column. Is there any solution for this?
I ve shown it in the dwg attached along with. Please do consider this over...Expecting your valuable replies

Joseph Bejoy Babu

phyllisr
2009-10-06, 12:26 AM
...only the column appears while placing structural columns and only covering comes out when placing architectural column...

Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck with the dimensions. If you think about it, you can probably understand why. For example, if you dimension to centerlines for a wall in Revit, there is nothing in the CAD export with which to associate the dimension.

The column issue it probably a quick fix. I checked your CAD file but am uncertain what you want to see. The attached image is what I think you would like.

The two columns with the hand pointer are the same Revit architectural column. One joins the geometry to the wall and the other does not. The two columns with the arrow pointer are the same Revit structural column. Again, one is joined and the other is not. If you manually unjoin the geometry of the architectural columns in Revit, you will get an export that looks like the column in blue.

You can change the default in architectural column families but not structural. Open the family and go to Category and Parameters to make the switch. Reloading this into your project will not change the properties of those you already placed but new ones will not automatically join with the walls. Structural columns are not joined by default.

If I am way off base and missed the problem entirely, post what you want to see and I will take another look. Good luck!

Joseph TVM
2009-10-06, 04:37 AM
Thank You very much for the tip. It helped a lot.
What I did right now was I unchecked the automatically joins geometry parameter in the family editor and placed the columns and exported it. So I got the column blocks in Autocad. Then in Revit I checked the automatically joins geometry parameter and exported it to cad once again so this time I got the column coverings instead of columns. I copied the columns from the previous drawing to this one and so could obtain columns with coverings in one single file. What I want to know now is that Is it possible to get the columns along with wall covering it when exported to Cad in one single step. Here I had to export it twice to get the desired result?? Awaiting your reply... and Thank You very much once again

I have attached the dwg showing actually what we need.

phyllisr
2009-10-06, 04:40 AM
...attached the dwg...
Did you forget the upload button? :)

phyllisr
2009-10-06, 04:43 AM
Can you post your sample Revit file? Think I know what you want and think I can solve this but would be easier to test on something you are actually using. Thanks!