PDA

View Full Version : Massing/walls

thommenbodo
2004-11-13, 01:07 AM
When I create a mass model with non vertical faces, I cant seem to turn the faces into walls. Is it only faces that are perpendicular to the ground plane that can be turned into walls?

beegee
2004-11-13, 03:21 AM
" Normal " walls are created on vertical planar or arc faces of a mass.

To create an inclined wall from a mass, firstly create a curtain wall, then change the system panels to solid, selecting the material and thickness you require. You may also need to create a curtain system that has the pattern you require.

JamesVan
2004-11-13, 04:55 AM
Only problem I see is the wall joins. As panels, they don't miter properly.

mmodernc
2004-11-13, 09:05 AM
workarounds are workarounds are workarounds................end conditions, scheduling, etc, how do you put a door in it?

sbrown
2004-11-13, 01:14 PM
If you make that shape with an inplace wall family, you will be able to put doos and windows in it. In place wall families are designed for sloped walls and battered walls, etc. and will allow wall hosted inserts.

Scott D Davis
2004-11-13, 04:39 PM
how do you put a door in it?
how many times have you seen a door in a battered wall in real construction?

thommenbodo
2004-11-13, 09:03 PM
How would you go about to make something like this?

mmodernc
2004-11-13, 09:15 PM
The issue is how do you make a battered wall from the sloping face of a mass. Can you make an inplace family from a mass face? What about a battered sav with mollases?

beegee
2004-11-14, 02:05 AM
I imagine you would use the massing tools to work up a conceptual design.

If your conceptual design has battered walls and you want to move to the next phase of studying windows and doors inserted into a wall, you would make an in-place wall on the face of the massing element by selecting that face as the work plane and then by extruding a solid to the wall depth or else use a sweep.. You could then delete the massing element, place windows and doors, and they will schedule in the normal way.

Is that a work-around ? Yes, it is, but it gets you what you want without much fuss, .... I think.

( Sure, it would be nice to select the face of the massing element and define that as a wall and be able to treat it like any other wall. )

The issue is how do you make a battered wall from the sloping face of a mass. Can you make an inplace family from a mass face? What about a battered sav with mollases?

mmodernc
2004-11-14, 02:39 AM
Defining a workplane with the mass face is the way to go. If you do the curtain wall thing on a waffly surface even though the joints are a bit iffy,- depending on the number of panels- it should render up pretty well.

thommenbodo
2004-11-14, 11:06 AM
Yes, I think it's weird that you can do all this "crazy" stuff with curtain walls, but not with regular walls. I've been playing with the massing tools a bit, and are impressed of what is possible with curtain systems. I wish we had the same freedom to play with walls!

Scott D Davis
2004-11-14, 04:51 PM
How would you go about to make something like this?
Ask yourself "How would I (or a contractor) go about building this for real?" and then build it that way in Revit. Those types of walls would ultimately be some type of 'curtain wall' system, with a strucural system, and then curved panels hung from it.

sbrown
2004-11-15, 04:05 AM
all the same massing tools are available in the in-place wall sketch mode, so there is no reason to use massing elements for these walls. make those"masses" as inplace walls, then make your massing around those. I agree it would be nice to convert mass to inplace wall family or inplace roof family or inplace floor family. Good wishlist item.

ilya.bass
2004-11-15, 04:55 PM
all the same massing tools are available in the in-place wall sketch mode, so there is no reason to use massing elements for these walls. make those"masses" as inplace walls, then make your massing around those. I agree it would be nice to convert mass to inplace wall family or inplace roof family or inplace floor family. Good wishlist item.

The Factory is aware of this wishlist item.