PDA

View Full Version : 7.0 Grids & Levels in Section

Mr Spot
2004-11-15, 12:47 AM
I'm having some strange occurances in section views in one of my upgraded projects in 7.0. I can't seem to move the end points of my grids and new sections will not show all the levels!

First, I tried duplicating with detailing an existing section, thinking I could edit the grid end points in this view. (NO LUCK)

I’ve tried cutting a new section so I could just copy the detailing across. Problem being now only two of the 20 odd levels show and I can’t get the rest to show, and I still can’t edit the grid end points.

I then thought it was something to do with new 2D and 3D extents, however none of my existing levels or grids come up with the 2D/3D extent circle control! I tried creating a new level type and changing it but still no luck. I’ve tried the propagate extents (NO LUCK).

It seems to work if i add a new level and reference planes but not existing ones??

:(

Any Ideas?

beegee
2004-11-15, 01:37 AM
Do you have datum associated with scope boxes ?

Mr Spot
2004-11-15, 01:49 AM
Nope. No scope boxes.

beegee
2004-11-15, 03:01 AM
Strange that you're not seeing a solid filled blue circle at the end of the datum ( 2D extents in 7.0 )

Mr Spot
2004-11-15, 03:33 AM
I know. The file is now with support... Martin Taurer is also looking into it with development.

beegee
2004-11-15, 03:34 AM
You're in good hands then.

Let us know what eventuates.

sbrown
2004-11-15, 03:47 AM
Ok I had the same thing with the initial release of 7.0 it has to do with the new levels having a 2d and 3d property. All upgraded levels are set to 2d so your existing views don't get messed up. The solution is to go to an existing view that shows the levels and click on the level line, you will see a blue 2d text appear, click that and it will change to 3d, do this for all the levels and then check your sections, if that didn't work, then drag the levels a little and click the propegate button. This should do the trick. Your new levels are showing because they are defaulted to 3d levels.

Mr Spot
2004-11-15, 04:45 AM
Sorry Scott no go... I think the file is a little wacko. I'm not having the 2d/3D toggle circle appear in any views...

sbrown
2004-11-15, 09:21 PM
Its got to be there somewhere, try other views and picking on the level at both ends and turning on and off the text at each end somewhere you have to see the little 2d blue text or 3d blue text. If you don't then your project is definately messed up.

Mr Spot
2004-11-17, 02:40 AM
Scott,

None of my existing levels will come up with 2D datum or 3D. If i cut a new section they will show however...

Even if i select and then choose to reset to 3D extents they will not show??

I'm waiting in agony at the moment as our email has been down since yesterday morning so i haven't been able to receive an answer from support.

StephenVB
2004-11-17, 03:01 AM
I have a simliar problem. Some levels have the 2d/3d indicator, but I would say that 90% of them do not. They just have the solid blue dots at each end. When I upgraded, most levels in my section cuts disappeared.

Upon further inspection, I can find some of the level if I adjust my crop. These also have just solid blue dots. I can pull them back to where they need to go. When I re-crop, these same levels disappear from view and actually revert back to the position where I "discovered" them.

I sent an email to support; I just don't get it...

Scott D Davis
2004-11-17, 03:12 AM
did youn try the "repropagate extents" button that appears in the options bar when you click on a level line?

Chad Smith
2004-11-17, 03:15 AM
I have a simliar problem. Some levels have the 2d/3d indicator, but I would say that 90% of them do not. They just have the solid blue dots at each end. When I upgraded, most levels in my section cuts disappeared.
I think you'll find that if you are running in 2D then you actually have to drag the end of the level (solid dot) back over the open circle (3D mark), which is the equivalent of 'Reset to 3D Extent's and then the 2D/3D toggle is selectable.

StephenVB
2004-11-17, 03:23 AM
Scott & Chad,

Thanks for the quick replies, however, neither suggestion gets the selected levels to display any 2d or 3d symbol.

beegee
2004-11-17, 03:42 AM
It can be easier just to click on the "2D" annotation, which switches it instanly to 3D, provided of course that you can find the annotation in a busy drawing.

I think you'll find that if you are running in 2D then you actually have to drag the end of the level (solid dot) back over the open circle (3D mark), which is the equivalent of 'Reset to 3D Extent's and then the 2D/3D toggle is selectable.

Chad Smith
2004-11-17, 03:47 AM
It can be easier just to click on the "2D" annotation
I don't ever get the 2D symbol to show on screen unless the 2D control point (filled dot) is located over the 3D extents control (open circle). :screwy:
Have a look at the screen shot on my previous post, no 2D symbol for me.

beegee
2004-11-17, 04:02 AM
Try this ....

Select the datum, right click on the solid blue circle - "reset to 3D extents " option appears ?

Chad Smith
2004-11-17, 04:13 AM
Resetting the 3D extents is nearly the same as dragging the 2D control points back over the 3D control points, except that it just doesn't change back to 3D, which is essentially what I was trying to explain in my previous post.

I think the factory needs to display the 2D symbol, even when the 2D points aren't over the 3D points, so when you press the 3D symbol, that end of the level line is reset back to 3D without affecting the other end.
I think the lack of this 2D symbol might be throwing some people off.

Mr Spot
2004-11-17, 04:21 AM
Yeah, for levels in section if i reset 3D extents some choose to disappear all together and they can't be found now matter how far i extend the crop regions...

This is annoying as i can't re-drag them to where they should go?

Geez i wish i had email...!

StephenVB
2004-11-17, 04:22 AM
The option is there when I right click the blue dot, but selecting it has no visible effect on the current view and definitely no 3d symbol appears.

On a couple of levels in my model, the 3d/2d works as it should. For some reason, the level behavior seems erratic with this particular file.

My problem is that some levels work, most don't, levels appear in certain sections and not others, and if they don't appear, I can't even select them and "unhide" them. I thought I could look through the model for where they were visible, reset them to 3d extents, and work on revising each view where they hopefully would now be visible. Maybe I'm not totally understanding how it works?

Mr Spot
2004-11-17, 04:30 AM
The option is there when I right click the blue dot, but selecting it has no visible effect on the current view and definitely no 3d symbol appears.

On a couple of levels in my model, the 3d/2d works as it should. For some reason, the level behavior seems erratic with this particular file.

My problem is that some levels work, most don't, levels appear in certain sections and not others, and if they don't appear, I can't even select them and "unhide" them. I thought I could look through the model for where they were visible, reset them to 3d extents, and work on revising each view where they hopefully would now be visible. Maybe I'm not totally understanding how it works?
ditto - I'll let you know when i get email back online and thus my response/answer from Revit support.

Chad Smith
2004-11-17, 04:30 AM
I also find that the crop region for a view affects whether the 2D/3D symbol appears. The 3D control point (open circle) has to be on the inside of the crop region for it to display (another thing that should be fixed).

The first image shows the crop region inside of the 3D control point, and thus not visible, and the second image shows the crop region on the outside and the 3D control point and is now visible.

So having said that, try turning your view crop region on and move the boundaries of it out. Then after dragging the 2D control point over the 3D control point, the 2D/3D symbol will appear.

This is all very confusing. :-?

Mr Spot
2004-11-17, 04:49 AM
I've extended the crop region out until zoom extents causes a speck on the screen... Nothing appears...

Chad Smith
2004-11-17, 05:01 AM
Oh well, I'm now fresh out of ideas.

Mr Spot
2004-11-17, 10:28 PM
argghhh.. No email this morning either... This is so frustrating... The answer could be waiting for me in my email!

beegee
2004-11-17, 10:37 PM
Ummm, see that funny looking contraption on the end of the desk with buttons and a handset - its called a phone.

Sorry Chris, ... couldn't resist a dig. :Oops:

Mr Spot
2004-11-18, 12:50 AM
:P Nice one BG,

Problem being, that they have the file and will most likely setup another temp buzzsaw account for it so i can see the resolution...

sbrown
2004-11-18, 04:05 PM
try turning the far clip plane off in the view that should reveal all the levels.

stuntmonkee
2004-11-18, 06:30 PM
argghhh.. No email this morning either... This is so frustrating... The answer could be waiting for me in my email!

apparently you still have a internet connection. Only saying this because most email providers will allow you to chick your email off site through their website. So look into that if you haven't got your email up. Unless the servers are down for your provider. Then that would just suck.

Chad Smith
2004-11-18, 08:59 PM
most email providers will allow you to chick your email off site through their website.
I'm guessing a company like Briggs, Patterson & Buhr Architects would have their own in house email server, and that software / email server may be broken, which would explain the internet connection with no email.
In our office, we have an internet gateway and a separate email server, so one could go down and not the other.

Mr Spot
2004-11-18, 10:37 PM
It was an issue with the ISP changing our plan, and thus our static IP address which everything was setup on. Now fixed thankfully.

Scott, far clip plane change didn't work, i think because the 3D level extents are not extended in the opposite direction... Hmmm... That gives me an idea.

I wonder if i cut a section perpendicular to this one and set the levels to 3d extents then drag the level end points beyond this point...

This won't fix the grid's not moving problem though. Support has advised this is a bug and are attempting to establish a build where this is fixed.

I'll give it a try.

Mr Spot
2004-11-21, 11:15 PM
I've just been advised by support that this non-moving grid bubble issue will be fixed in a new build.

beegee
2004-11-21, 11:43 PM
Friday then ?

( with apologies to Mr. Stafford )