PDA

View Full Version : Wall Wraps at Columns

frustratedtonoend
2009-10-06, 02:00 PM
I would like to have the gyp board wrap at the ends, but not at the columns. See attached. Can anyone help?

cporter.207875
2009-10-06, 02:43 PM
You may need to create a separate wall type to do this. If your column doesn't autmatically join geometry to walls, then the wall is going to simply butt against the wall. In that case, it will follow the rules you've applied which tell it to wrap at the end. So... create a new type if you want it to follow different rules.

frustratedtonoend
2009-10-06, 03:58 PM
You may need to create a separate wall type to do this. If your column doesn't autmatically join geometry to walls, then the wall is going to simply butt against the wall. In that case, it will follow the rules you've applied which tell it to wrap at the end. So... create a new type if you want it to follow different rules.

I would like one end wrapped, and the other end not wrapped. How do I create that kind of wall? Surely, somewhere in the world a gyp. bd. wall buts up against an architectural concrete column with an exposed concrete finish. Revit should be able to handle this, but, I'm just not sure how.

cporter.207875
2009-10-06, 04:31 PM
I suppose their might be some way to control the end wrapping differently from one end to the other, but I can't think of it. The only way I know is with different wall types. See attached for example.

greg.mcdowell
2009-10-06, 04:43 PM
You could also trim the walls together to form a 90 degree corner and join the structural column to the walls. Seems like a better solution than making new wall types.

cporter.207875
2009-10-06, 05:55 PM
You could also trim the walls together to form a 90 degree corner and join the structural column to the walls. Seems like a better solution than making new wall types.

I think he is trying to use architectural columns instead of structural columns, in which case you get two solutions, both unacceptable I believe. See attached.

greg.mcdowell
2009-10-06, 08:01 PM
hmmm, looks like a structural column (concrete pattern) - if it's not perhaps it should be

cporter.207875
2009-10-06, 08:05 PM
hmmm, looks like a structural column (concrete pattern) - if it's not perhaps it should be

I do agree. I can't think of a case wehre a solid concrete column would not be structural. Not sure why OP wants to use an architectural column, but I could have mistaken the intent.

frustratedtonoend
2009-10-06, 11:45 PM
Thanks people. Both solutions should work although, sometimes the column doesn't cut the wall. I created a new column family simply by changing the square column family from "columns" to "structural columns". I've only been working in Revit with some consisency for a couple of months, so the suggestion on how to approach the problem are useful not only in their solution, but in how to approach the problem.

I got it from here.

Thanks.

BTW, I can't see the expense of erecting a concrete column unless it is structural, especially with the added expense of selecting just the right formwork (think Tadao Ando, Louis Kahn) for the architectural finish.