PDA

View Full Version : Trying to build a road - is 3D line for sweep possible??

anthony_panico
2009-10-07, 02:05 AM
I am trying to build a portion of a highway for a rendering. I realize that Revit is it not the best way to do this, but there is no other option.

The topography is modeled, and I am now trying to put the road in. My thought was to draw a 3D line that replicated the topography and then use that line as a path foe a sweep that used the profile of the road (in section).

I am not able to snap to the topo and if I import the topo lines used to create the topo from AutoCAD, they are not useful either. Does anyone have any insight into how this should be approached?? Any help - please!!

patricks
2009-10-07, 12:13 PM
I would just model the topography as accurately as possible, then use a subregion to change the topography material to a paving material for the road area.

Andre Baros
2009-10-07, 02:47 PM
If the topography/subregion option doesn't work for you, you can create a 3D line for a sweep by picking instead of drawing. To do this, you would model a solid however is required to get a continuous edge to define your curve through space. Once you have that you can create your sweep by picking edges... keep you hosting solid as long as you need, then either delete it out or put it on a workset that is off by default. Once your road is in, you can grade up to it to clean up the edges.

anthony_panico
2009-10-07, 03:11 PM
I am trying to avoid using subregion becuase I want the road to have the correct cross section profile. In the end, I may just have to leave that out. I will try making a solid and picking the edges.
Thank you both very much for your help.

patricks
2009-10-07, 06:56 PM
The thing about the solid, though, is that it won't display any contour information. The road surface itself will have to be part of your topo in order to get the contour lines to show correctly, showing the road crown and everything (topo lines pointing downhill).

benmay
2009-10-07, 09:50 PM
How much does your road level vary, and how accurate do you need it to be? For roads with little change in the vertical direction I have previoulsy used a floor with railings hosted to the edge for the kerbs. This is great because you can include the subase in the floor family, and it looks perfect in cross sections.

But not ideal if your road varies in level a lot. For that case I would go with the topo, and simply use a detail component in cross section lined up to the topo with the topo turned off.