PDA

View Full Version : Show only if instance is cut-help

t1.shep
2009-10-07, 05:18 PM
Anybody know how to use the "show only if Instance is cut" under "visibility" "symbolic Element Visibility"?
I'm trying to create a 3d component that is too detailed to draw as 3d, so i need to nest a detail component or symbolic line to make it look correct. But that being said, I don't want to see the detail on the end if viewed in elevation, I only want the detail to show if it is cut by a section. However, my "show only if Instance is cut" is grayed out...
I can't seem to find a family template or condition in which it allows me to check that box...

any thoughts?

Munkholm
2009-10-07, 05:56 PM
Only a few of the families will alow that....

From the Family Guide: @ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=13376394

If a family is cuttable, the family displays as cut when the cut plane of a view intersects that family in all
types of views.
In the Family Element Visibility Settings dialog, there is an option called When cut in Plan/RCP. This option
determines if family geometry is shown when the cut plane intersects that family. For example, in door
families, the geometry for plan swing is set to be shown when the door is cut in plan views and not shown
when the door is not cut.
This option is never made available and is never selected for non-cuttable families. For some cuttable families,
the option is made available, and you can select it. For other cuttable families, the option is never made
available, but it is always selected.
The following table lists cuttable families and whether the option is made available for that family.

t1.shep
2009-10-07, 06:03 PM
Only a few of the families will alow that....

From the Family Guide: @ http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=13376394

If a family is cuttable, the family displays as cut when the cut plane of a view intersects that family in all
types of views.
In the Family Element Visibility Settings dialog, there is an option called When cut in Plan/RCP. This option
determines if family geometry is shown when the cut plane intersects that family. For example, in door
families, the geometry for plan swing is set to be shown when the door is cut in plan views and not shown
when the door is not cut.
This option is never made available and is never selected for non-cuttable families. For some cuttable families,
the option is made available, and you can select it. For other cuttable families, the option is never made
available, but it is always selected.
The following table lists cuttable families and whether the option is made available for that family.

Thanks, but now can you give me the logic behind why it's an option for some, but not all? I wish that a "generic model" would give me unconditional access to all the options available for family creation.

Munkholm
2009-10-07, 07:50 PM
Sorry - I don´t see the logic either.... guess it´s the logic of a programmer, and not an architect´s kind of logic ;.) Changes to this issue has been on my personal whish list for ages :beer:

steffenwalvius382662
2012-01-25, 10:04 AM
Change the family to a cutable family and select 'only show when Instance is cut'. Then you go change it back to the 'uncutable' family you had before. Eventhough you can't change it, 'only show when Instance is cut' is selected.

This works for you too?

pfaudler
2012-01-25, 12:34 PM
I wrote a post about this last year.
Please see it here.

http://revitstickynotes.blogspot.com/2011/11/2d-symbolic-line-show-only-if-instance.html