PDA

View Full Version : Importing 3d Terrains ???

thand
2009-10-13, 05:00 PM
Can you import a 3d terrain model as a Mass or a Component and then convert it to a terrain model in Revit?

Scott D Davis
2009-10-13, 05:26 PM
You could import a 3D model of a site into an in-place family using the Site category. But it will be a solid, static object. Revit's 'Pad" tool wont cut into it, and you wont be able to edit it. Best to bring it in as a DWG with lines that have a "Z" coordinate, and then use the Topography tool to pick the DWG to convert to a Revit site.

Also, you could bring in the 3D model to a view and then use the Topography tool and pick points from the model to create a Revit site. Depending on how complex your site is, this could take some time to place the necessary points.

thand
2009-10-13, 05:55 PM
Thanks Scott... I think I'm just going to have to recreate the terrain in Revit, since importing the dwg file is giving me some weird results...

Thanks again.

gbrowne
2009-10-14, 02:26 PM
It might be an idea to try and simplify the original CAD file, clean it up, purge it, perhaps delete a few points..

And after import, allow Revit to simplify toposurface too...

thand
2009-10-14, 09:30 PM
It might be an idea to try and simplify the original CAD file, clean it up, purge it, perhaps delete a few points..

And after import, allow Revit to simplify toposurface too...

Thanks for the imput... I did discover that I needed additional points in a few locations, but cleaning up the CAD file is always a good idea and has become a standard that I follow.

Thanks again

gbrowne
2009-10-15, 08:21 AM
Jolly good. :-)