PDA

View Full Version : View Range

e.wee1790
2003-09-11, 11:32 PM
What do you guys think about View Range > Primary Range > 'Top' actually do (vs. 'Cut Plane')?

beegee
2003-09-12, 12:20 AM
The view range is a set of horizontal planes that control object visibility and appearance.

The Primary Range is the space between the Top and Bottom Clip Planes. Elements within the boundaries of the primary range are drawn according to their Object Styles category settings. The value for Cut plane offset from the current level sets a height at which a plan view is cut. Objects that are cut display according to their Family Element Visibility settings.

In the View Range dialog box, levels are relative to the current level.

For example, if you are in the level 2 floor plan of a multi-story building and you select Level 4 as the top clip, Revit interprets this as "top clip is two levels above the current level."

Elements not within the primary range yet within the View Depth are drawn using the Beyond line style.

For example, there may be a balcony 2 levels below the current plan view. By setting the View Depth to that level, the balcony would appear using the Beyond line style. You can change the Beyond line style by selecting Line Styles from the Settings menu.

Scott D Davis
2003-09-12, 01:02 AM
It would be nice if this View Range displayed in elevation/section like the Clip Plane does, so that there was a visual indicator of what is being shown.

e.wee1790
2003-09-12, 01:53 AM
Thanks beegee,

We had a Revit user group in Melbourne few days ago and someone brought up the use of the Top Clip when the Cut Plane has already been defined.

For example, if we are on current 2nd level and we define the Cut Plane as 1200, no matter how high we define the Top Clip, we will only be looking at the cut plane anyway. We couldn't figure out how the Top Clip affects the visibility of the plan, hence the function of it.

And Scott, the view range definition graphicaly in elevation/section is one of my top wish list as I need to know all window heights before I can define the proper Cut plane to slice through all windows... (fingers crossed for apearrance in the upcoming revit)

beegee
2003-09-12, 02:37 AM
My understanding is that the Top Clip Plane is used for RCP views.
However, there are a few categories for which an object located above the Cut Plane (but partially below the Top Clip) is shown in normal plan. These categories include Windows, Casework, and Generic Models. These objects are shown as viewed from above.

sbrown
2003-09-12, 01:51 PM
I beleive Beegee is right the top clip is just used in views looking up. If you want to see your roof line above or something like that in a floor plan you need to use the underlay function.

christo4robin
2003-09-12, 04:22 PM
I think there are a limited number of objects that actually invoke an "overhead" display based upon where the top clip plane is located. Specifically, the openings included within the doors folder.

Again, just a guess, but thought I'd throw it out there.

C