PDA

View Full Version : Roof Edge

jcoe
2009-10-15, 05:48 PM
How do I create the roof edge to be perpendicular to the slope instead of a plumb cut. I have tried the different rafter cuts, but no luck. We strictly do K-12 work with flat roofs, so this condition is a little new to me.

aggockel50321
2009-10-15, 06:08 PM
Go to properties and try two-cut square, and set your fascia depth equal to the roof thickness.

jcoe
2009-10-15, 06:24 PM
Still no good. Does is make a difference if I created the roof using offset vs overhang?

Also, due to the nature of the slope and the roof line, I have an offset value for the sketch line at the eaves. Would this matter at all?

aggockel50321
2009-10-15, 06:32 PM
Should not make a difference for either.

Try placing an angular dimension on the fascia and roof surface to see what the angle is.

You can then try changing the sketch offset to see if that changes the angle...

jcoe
2009-10-15, 06:37 PM
Resetting the offset in the sketch seemed to fix the edge condition.

Thanks Andrew

danglading
2009-11-19, 02:27 PM
I'm having similar troubles as Jason, with a square cut roof that won't square cut. In this case, it's an insulation on metal deck roof at a slight pitch, and I'm trying to apply a fascia to emulate a sloped soffit. Since the roof insists on plumb-cutting the edge no matter what I do, the fascia sweep is orienting itself vertical (instead of normal to the roof surface) and is not cleaning up at the corners.

I've set the fascia depth to the same thickness as the roof construction. This is a roof by footprint with no overhangs, no offsets, one slope arrow. I'm on the verge of building an in-place mass family, which would be irritating and create a bunch more work in sections, details, etc. Help?

danglading
2009-11-19, 02:38 PM
Nevermind. I just re-learned that the plumb/square cut only impacts the "eave" (lowest edge). Since I've got a floating shed roof, that wants a square cut on all four sides, this won't work for me. I'm left with a void sweep along the top or an in-place roof mass family. sigh...