PDA

View Full Version : Decoupling structural beams

PeterJ
2004-11-16, 06:50 PM
I am working up a frame structure and in a number of locations the beams have to run at angles to the grid. I have set out my walls in the correct locations and need the beams to be located very specifically to the wall build-up. Each time I move one beam it moves another because, I imagine, of the way they want to connect to one another or to columns. To get the beams to sit in their correct locations on plan I have to pull them back from one another and the columns they are supported by. Has anyone found a means of switching off this behaviour without simply remodelling them as generic families (which I don't really want to do)?

Ideally the beams should be structural components but decoupled from one another so that they act with no intelligence.

The screen shot from below shows the problem I am having. In order to get the box sections with the additional flange that run at odd angles to the main frame to sit in the correct locations they are cut short to prevent interaction then the columns that sit atop them are seemingly floating in space......

PeterJ
2004-11-18, 02:53 PM
Bump

Anyone?

I did have some success by moving the extrusion from the offset location of 'member left' and 'member right' to the main structural node. At least they join now, but clash.