PDA

View Full Version : Linked DWG not visable thru Ceiling Grid

allen_angle
2009-10-19, 05:01 PM
I have lighting layouts completed in DWG and would like to link those files into my revit file to use as an underlay to place in revit ligthing fixtures. But the DWG file is hidden by the ceiling grid in revit, I can't bring the DWG to front so how do I get the DWG visable through the revit ceiling gird?

patricks
2009-10-19, 05:17 PM
You might need to change the elevation of the DWG so that it's within the view range of your ceiling plan view, and below the ceiling grid.

Did you attach the DWG to the whole project, or into that view only?

allen_angle
2009-10-19, 05:26 PM
I linked it to the current view only. Can't find a way to change the elevation of the dwg?

patricks
2009-10-19, 06:38 PM
If you link it into the entire project, and not just the current view, then the DWG will exist in 3D space and will have an elevation parameter attached to it.

As a rule we pretty much NEVER link in a DWG into a single view, because it limits its use to that view only.

gbrowne
2009-10-20, 08:26 AM
I often link site plan info to one view, then duplicate that view, so the CAD info doesn't show up in elevations and regular floor plans..

ws
2009-10-20, 08:46 AM
I do as GBrowne does for site plans but I hadn't thought of Patricks' method which could be handy at times.

However I've just tried a few imported dxf and dwg digital maps in projects and if you select the dxf/dwg imported into the one view, then click the 'Foreground' button or in Properties choose Foreground for the Draw Layer, then it displays in front of the Revit model.

The 'send to back' etc buttons do not seem to work, you need to select either foreground or background, unless I've missed something?

patricks
2009-10-20, 12:04 PM
I often link site plan info to one view, then duplicate that view, so the CAD info doesn't show up in elevations and regular floor plans..

That may be useful for non-workshared files, but most of our projects are workshared, and I always have a CAD Links workset that is off by default in all views.

gbrowne
2009-10-20, 03:08 PM
Oh I see. I have done a few worksetted jobs, but not many.

As for the CAD visibility issue, it might be a case of "delete and re-link"? :-(