PDA

View Full Version : Curtainwall/Storefront Demolition

sean.darnell
2009-10-19, 10:29 PM
We are working on a TI project in an existing concrete shell with storefront designed for multiple tenants. The design calls for making all the discrete spaces into a single large space.

With this shift of purpose we would like to change all the doors in the Storefront to windows. As a concept, not such a difficult thing, but Revit will not allow us to demolish the doors alone out of the existing Storefront.

How would you approach this? I'm thinking that the solution has to do with creating a separate Storefront that only contains the door. I would however like something a little more elegant.

Scott Womack
2009-10-20, 10:22 AM
Personally, I'd make a custom curtainwall panel for the "demoed" door. You other choice is to replace the curtainwall panel with a piece of wall, and place a door in that wall. Then the door can be shown as demolished, although it will leve that piece of wall behind. You could get creative, and make the wall thin, and out of the glass material though.

patricks
2009-10-20, 12:13 PM
I have done this in the past. What I did was draw out the existing storefront wall with all the mullion and glass layouts. Then I changed the panel where the door was located to System Panel - Empty. That left me with an empty hole. Then I placed another storefront wall just the size of that door panel, made the panel a door type, and then demolished it that wall. All that happened on the existing phase, except for the demolition of course. You have to demolish an entire instance of curtain wall or storefront, since you can't demolish individual parts and pieces.

Then I went back and placed another storefront wall panel the same size as the door panel, and left it as glass.

I think I did end up getting some wall overlapping warnings, but it was no big deal.

I think Scott's solution would not have any warnings, if you made a Wall system family that matched your storefront System Panel - Glazed panel type. That way you could demolish the existing door, and the resulting infill panel should show up as new.

sean.darnell
2009-10-20, 03:57 PM
Scott/Patricks,

Thank you both for your replies. I am going to use Patricks method as it allows me to keep the storefront intact and it supplies the visual i need.