PDA

View Full Version : Standard Details Revisited

WolffG
2009-10-22, 12:56 PM
I just got through re-reading the threads that have been posted in the past regarding creating, classifying and using standard details. It seems there has not been a consesus or a general protocol about how to go about it with the least amount of fuss. I'm not talking about using details imported from AutoCad, but details generated in Revit and intended to be reused in other projects.
I haven't come up with a a real good system and as a result find myself drawing the same thing over and over again, and would like to know if there is any kind of "best practice" protocol.

1. What would the "best practice" suggested method be?
2. If a detail is intended to be archived should it be derived from a callout or from a detail view? Which leads me to the question, can a callout based detail be converted into a standard detail?
3. What is the most effective way of storing details for quick retrieval?

Curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance.

patricks
2009-10-22, 02:46 PM
Well the easiest way, of course, is to have them as drafting views so that you can insert the views into a project using Insert Views From File.

The problem I have run into, though, is that the tiniest variation between a detail component already in your project and one that might be in the detail you need (even if the difference is not readily apparent) causes Revit to create a duplicate version of that family in the project with a number appended at the end. This makes for a VERY messy list of families in the type selector drop-down and in the project browser.

I'm not real sure what the best practice would be for avoiding this kind of thing. You would just about have to open your standard details file and reload any and every component you ever make a change to, if you're changing the family to correct it or improve it (not just changing it for a single project).

ktracy.194130
2009-10-22, 03:16 PM
I've run into the same problem with duplicates. We do a similar method here.
Could you transfer project standards into the project you are importing the drafting view from before importing? This could consolidate the families before creating duplicates?

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-22, 03:17 PM
A fellow Syracusian, hmm? :)

There are a few methods that work, some more unconventional than others, depending on how much you want "Live linked" to your office "Standard library."

1. Drafting Views.- Can be imported, but are then divorced from the Office Library copy forever. Im not personally convinced thats a bad thing, but some people dont like it. Everything patricks said is an issue, particularly with families, etc.

2. Detail groups- You can save out groups, and i am more akin to saving out detail groups and NOT including unintelligent linework to represent what WAS the model. This way, i import the detail group OVER my current model, and i get some of the speed and efficiency of not "renoting" the entire view, but i also get the live model. (Unless youre talking about things like pipe flashing details, but it doesnt sound like you are).

3. Linked Model / Linked View / Previous Phase for annotations- If you really want to go wild and keep things PERMANENTLY LINKED to your office library, a combination of a "Previous Phase" for annotation views, a Floor Plan, a Linked model from your office library, and a By Linked View setting will technically let you do it.

Its crafty, but im not sure id EVER do it. In my fairly short career, ive done a lot of repetitive construction typologies, and i still can count the number of "typical details" that have ACTUALLY remained identical and unchanged from job to job. "If it was to happen" you could do it this way, but im not sure i would.

4. Model groups with nested detail groups- My favorite option for things that are part, not parcel. If its not something large like a roof (for roof details i prefer number 2), ill save out model groups with the detailing nested in as detail groups. Typical bathroom configurations, typical millwork sections, partition details, etc. can all be handled this way.

Where in the Cuse are you? We should grab lunch one day. :)