PDA

View Full Version : Old families causing Windows Explorer to crash?

patricks
2009-10-23, 01:19 PM
I was trying to update all our old structural families on our server with the new content that came with the SAP yesterday. Several of our old families, mostly those dated 6.29.2006 (I believe the last time I ran a family upgrade utility on our entire library) seem to cause Windows Explorer to crash if I click once on the RFA file. I thought maybe it was related to the preview showing on the left side of the explorer window, so I hit the Folders button at the top to bring up the folder tree on the left side, but that didn't help. Every time I would click on one of these families, there would be a few seconds delay, then a Microsoft error message would pop up saying Explorer had encountered a problem and needed to close.

Interestingly, I could click once on the same RFA from a Revit Open/Save dialog box, which would bring up the preview, and nothing happened. If I opened the family in Revit and saved it to the current version, then all was fine.

This is pretty annoying, as I can't just select some of those old files and delete them from a Windows Explorer window, unless I'm REALLY fast with it. If I can select the file and hit the Delete key fast enough, it seems to work. Otherwise Explorer crashes and then restarts again.

Anyone else ever seen this problem?

gwnelson
2009-10-23, 02:01 PM
Happens here, too. Usually the ones where the Icon only shows up in the explorer pane, not the preview of the model.
And I have not found a solution.

gbrowne
2009-10-23, 03:52 PM
Yea, I got that, when I was tidying up user created families. So I dutifully downloaded all the windows updates, tried again, still crashed. So I stopped doing what I was doing...

funkman
2009-10-24, 02:39 AM
I think this happens when trying to skip a release. So if it is an old family, upgrade it in 2009 then 2010.