PDA

View Full Version : Structural deck for floors, but not roofs

patricks
2009-10-23, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to let ya'll know that we can now use a structural deck profile for floors, but not for roofs. I was hoping to never have to use my deck detail components ever again in model views, but I guess I'll have to keep drawing them for roof decks. :cry:

Seems odd that the new content that came with the SAP included a couple of structural roof deck profiles, yet we can't use them for roofs. :roll:

Unless of course I'm doing something wrong or missing something.

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-23, 02:37 PM
Its the same way for RST. It really stinks, because Slabs/Floors cant have multiple slope defining sketch lines, either.

So if you want the deck to show up in roofs, you have two options:

1. Use floors with slope defining lines... And build them one plane at a time. Which means a bunch of trouble attaching things like trusses, etc. (I assume its less of an issue for wall attachments).

2. Use floors with Shape Editing to make the hips/slopes.

patricks
2009-10-23, 03:44 PM
ah, well I don't feel so bad about it if RST can't do it either. :p

But still, roofs should have the option of having a structural deck if they're going to provide you with roof deck profiles.

I guess you could do the deck by itself as a floor type, then have a roof type with the insulation, recovery board, membrane, etc. on top of it.

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-23, 04:52 PM
Not much point to that though, since then you could even really attach trusses or walls to the *roof* since they would have to attach to the *floor*. MIght as well build it all in to the floor. :(

Scott Womack
2009-10-23, 05:09 PM
One of the reasons for not having profiles in "roofs" is that in the structrural analysis world, there is no such thing as a roof to most analysis programs. Therefore the convention has been for the structural engineers to create roof deck as a "floor" so that the analysis programs can deal with it.

Mike_Maloney
2009-10-23, 06:01 PM
Okay, maybe I've gotten a Brain-Fart here, but After I finally got the SAP installed, and the Sturctural Deck Profiles and Span Tags, I add a "Structural" Slab with a 3" Metal Deck and 4" Conc Top. Now how do i apply the profile to the slab? The normal Slab Edge/Profile technique doesn't work because when I created the "Slab Edge" and try to change the Profile, it doesn't recognize of see the Form Profile.

Any Takers?

Mike Maloney
BIM Mgr
SSA

patricks
2009-10-23, 06:03 PM
Structural deck is added in the floor type's construction. You'll have your 4" concrete Structure layer, then add another layer and change it to Structural Deck. A drop-down box will appear for you to choose the profile you want to use.

What's REALLY cool is that a section cut parallel to the deck flutes will automatically show the proper detail component all the way across the bottom of the slab. :mrgreen:

What I haven't figured out just yet is how to change the direction of the deck.

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-23, 07:16 PM
Patrick-

Place the Deck Direction symbol in plan, if its not there already. Grab the symbol and rotate it. :)