PDA

View Full Version : Wood Framing Extension - Glad I didn't get my hopes up

DoTheBIM
2009-10-23, 02:55 PM
I started with an existing design... bad idea. So I created an empty project and defined a typical interior wall layout. Nothing fancy. I could not get the pieces to layout correctly without manually adjusting individual sticks after the face. (See pic...tees not right (everything greyed out in that section of the extension, plates extend to center-line of adjacent walls or past them.) I shudder at the thought of something changing in the design after manipulating a few hundred/thousand pieces of lumber. I could not even use the existing families check box even after generating 2x material from the content generator. Then you even have to go to each wall and rotate profile of end studs or plates... I don't get the whole studs layout section of the extension...Lengh, Offset, Number of Intermediate studs... Why not nix the Length (it's the wall length)? Why not "First Stud Space/Location" in lieu of Offset? Why not Stud Spacing instead of Number of intermediate studs?:?...Horrendous & very disappointing. Hope someone can find it a bit more useful than I did.

(Edit: I now got the tees to come in right. and attempted openings. Of course our standard header opening isn't available & tees configurations are very limited. corner configurations are non existent. It also mitres pieces around the opening which I dounbt any builder would do ever.)

Ultimately, I'm curious as to what this tool will do to help others looking for this functionality from Revit? So the Extension generates for some pretty 3D effects, but how does a firm leverage this functionality to get the thing built? We currently send out the elevation report (attached) among many other reports to actually build panels from. Unfortunately for us I believe this tool is useless.:(

patricks
2009-10-23, 03:49 PM
I have to concur. The whole thing is just way too difficult to use. Really I don't see the point of it, since framers will do it how they want to anyway. IMHO trying to model all the framing is a big waste of time, at least on the architect/designer's end of things.

There are things that are just annoyingly difficult, like entering dimensions. You can't use the Revit standard of typing 0-3.5 in a field for three and one-half inches. You have to sit there and completely type out <3> <spacebar> <1> <forward slash> <2> <shift+double quote> <enter>. That's 7 keystrokes with both hands vs. 5 keystrokes with only one hand on the numpad as I normally do. Ridiculous!

gwnelson
2009-10-23, 03:57 PM
I played with it for a few minutes. We'd never use it for anything other than some little cutesy illustration.

It would be nice, however, to adapt the graphic concept that they have here & apply it to railings. See all the pieces, size, rotation, etc.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

DoTheBIM
2009-10-23, 03:58 PM
IMHO trying to model all the framing is a big waste of time, at least on the architect/designer's end of things.!Well when you are supporting a shop that builds prefab panels, it makes a lot of sense. But from your point of view, I'd agree... sort of... You would get the added benifit of seeing interferences when things would get framed up. Like when you have a door to close to a tee junction or similar. The more things that get cleared up front the smoother the project should go in theory.
... You have to sit there and completely type out <3> <spacebar> <1> <forward slash> <2> <shift+double quote> <enter>. Ridiculous! Ahhh that's what I was doing wrong when tring to create a parametric section I was typing 1.5" & 3.5" and it would just go back to original value. Silly me for thinking a Revit extension would follow Revit rules for inputing values.:Oops:

patricks
2009-10-23, 05:32 PM
It would be nice, however, to adapt the graphic concept that they have here & apply it to railings. See all the pieces, size, rotation, etc.

abso-FRIGGEN-lutely!

However I would prefer something actually built into Revit that follows Revit's rules for input instead of an external application.

iankids
2009-10-23, 09:53 PM
For myself, I think the current wall framing tool is a good start on getting a framing tool within Revit.

Given that the vast majority of my work deals with residential renovations and extensions, at times such a tool will, I think prove quite handy, either by showing an owner builder some graphical information on the frame, or by showing the builder how I want one part of the frame constructed. (As recently as last week, I did a 3d detail for a specific framing detail for a fully suspended frame over a fire place with some windows set behind)

This is not a tool I will use everyday, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up using it ten or twenty times a year, (which is ten or twenty time more often than I will use the new freeform massing tools). So I guess it's horses for courses - freeform massing tool, great for major architectural firms designing iconic buildings, little or no use to smaller design houses. Wall framing tool - OK tool for small design houses, little or no use to marjor architectural firms.

As I said previously, I think it is only a good start. Both further flexibility and additional features are needed to make it a mature functioning tool. Improvements I would like to see are:
The ability to stagger horizontal elements between each stud (noggins are installed like this in Oz and thus it would more acurately reflect how the wall is actually built)
The ability to add 3d bracing componets.

Overall, I think it is OK.

Cheers,

Ian

Joef
2009-10-24, 07:35 PM
I agree that this is a good start but... anyone know if there is a help file or a tutorial for this add-in?

Joef
2009-10-24, 07:43 PM
Never mind, found the help file...

Joef
2009-10-24, 09:01 PM
I have to agree that this module, though a nice try is rather useless. It is for "Timber" framing, and doesn't seem to be able recognize the LMBR content. I guess if you do a lot of timber frame construction it might be useful, but if anyone thinks that it would be helpful for North Americam wood frame construction, I think they are going to be disappointed. If someone here is familiar with this module and can enlighten me as to how I might use this in Canadian Wood Frame Construction I would appreciate it.