PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions and Legends/Tables

cgrover
2004-11-17, 06:06 AM
I did a search on dimensions and couldn't quite find the answer to a problem I'm trying to solve. So I thought I'd take a shot here.

I've got a detail which depending upon different conditions might vary in height and width. So I'd like to dimension the height and have it labeled "H" and then refer to a table to see what height it should be. What I can't figure out is how to override the dimension so I can type in "H". Any thoughts on how this might be accomplished?

Thanks,
grover

beegee
2004-11-17, 06:15 AM
Revit specifically does not allow dimensions to be over-ridden because of the problems that can cause.

You could place opaque text with the letter H over the dimension text, if the text was large enough, or else place a solid white fill to block out the dimension.

My choice however, would be to add the following text to the dimension prefix " H = " and then in the suffix add " refer to table for other possible ranges of H "

cgrover
2004-11-17, 06:34 AM
beegee,

Thanks for the reply and I figured as much because I hate it when people "override" dimensions. I thought I'd never want the ability until now. I tried placing a solid white filled region and it did not want to "block" out the dimension text, even when I tried "bring forward or bring to front". I may go for one of your other suggestions, thanks for the help.

grover

beegee
2004-11-17, 07:29 AM
grover,

Yet another possibility is to use one of the "blank" text fonts for the dimension text ( Make a new dimension style for this first. ) Then you can just add the "H' text over the dimension line.

These fonts are kicking around the forum, if you can't find one, post back and I'll dig one out.

phyllisr
2005-08-24, 12:26 AM
Just ran into this racing against a plotting deadline for our first pilot. Default text already loaded (we use Acrobat in our office) ZWAdobeF is perfect. Tested on our printer. Check a Bluebeam PDF and an Acrobat PDF. Worked as we wanted.

(Never mind the line in the middle of the door...)

PBR