PDA

View Full Version : Wall Finishes in REVIT

john.thompsen
2009-10-27, 08:11 PM
We have many wall types that are defined as stud and gyp board assemblies. We want to use QTO to do take offs on interior finish materials, so would like to add wall finishes to our wall types. Sometimes the finishes are only a partial height on a wall. Is there a way to create a wall type that has a partial covering of a finish material (such as a 4' tile wainscot?)

Scott Womack
2009-10-27, 08:47 PM
We have many wall types that are defined as stud and gyp board assemblies. We want to use QTO to do take offs on interior finish materials, so would like to add wall finishes to our wall types. Sometimes the finishes are only a partial height on a wall. Is there a way to create a wall type that has a partial covering of a finish material (such as a 4' tile wainscot?)

Several Methodologies to produce the quantities in Revit. (If you are referring to the separate product by Autodesk, I'm not sure)

Use the Split-Face command, and paint the materials on. Then use a Material Take-off schedule.

You can split the region of a wall style in the Section view while editing its properties.

We actually create a wall style, 1/4" to 3/8" thick for ceramic tile, etc. and draw it where it goes. We then place this on a Finished Wall Materials workset, so it can be turned off in some views. Modeling it gives you more information yo can schedule.

Pick your poison.

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-27, 09:08 PM
We actually create a wall style, 1/4" to 3/8" thick for ceramic tile, etc. and draw it where it goes. We then place this on a Finished Wall Materials workset, so it can be turned off in some views. Modeling it gives you more information yo can schedule.

Thats what we do as well.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-10-28, 12:20 AM
Recommended practice as far as I'm concerned as well. This also gives you the added option of adding these items to a separate workset so they can be more easily documented as part of a separate contract package.

cliff collins
2009-10-28, 01:14 PM
Yes--and even better than placing finishes on worksets, put all the finishes in a Revit Interiors model, linked into your Shell and Core model.

I agree, build the actual walls as your finishes. Same for finish floors and finished ceilings,
millwork,etc. ( See Scott Brown's post for some very good examples and dicussion).

As for having different materials on a single wall--yes, you can "split face and paint
on materials"--but watch out for wall edits/joins which can delete the split faces!

A better way might be to build a stacked wall of several different individual "finish walls"--
these will hold up under rigorous editing and won't have split faces deleted.
(Occasionally you might even build separate individual walls on top of each other
in lieu of a stacked wall--but not as standard practice.)

cheers.........

barrie.sharp
2009-11-02, 05:22 PM
I'm finding that with structural brick walls, points can be unfinished like in the roof space and interiors plastered. In reality, the wall is built and the plasterer goes and applies the finish where needed. I have been creating types for each scenario but it doesn't always tidy up well.

Whilst being a more manual task, it is more versatile to create plaster as a seperate wall type and scheduling room finishes should be more acurate. However, inserts and returns aren't smart even when the wall types are joined.

Should I split walls into different types even though the core is one piece? Any ideas around these scenarios. Clearly wall types are easier but I can't make them work always.

mthurnauer
2009-11-02, 06:20 PM
Two questions regarding the wall type method: what do you do about doors, windows, etc? Are you making an opening that is locked to align with the door opening?

What are you doing to ensure that the room finish schedule matches the finishes modeled in the room? Are you using a different type of schedule?

twiceroadsfool
2009-11-02, 06:37 PM
If you join geometry, the openings from doors and windows will also cut the "finish" walls. We tend to only do it for finishes that are applied over the wall, like tile. So the fact that the throat dims dont "grow" works for us.

If you try to do it for brick/cavity, you have to sacrifice somewhere: Either dont have the throat dimension grow, or make it a manua parameter you can adjust as you see fit. If you do the latter, at least you can schedule it, LOL.

As for schedules... I conceded that fight and its on the RFS as well, but in my opinion, it shouldnt be scheduled at all.

"PT 901/904" just tells me there is two types of paint in the room. Its a useless field. Id rather the entire thing be shown in elevation. Which it needs to be ANYWAY, to show where the paint goes.

t1.shep
2010-09-03, 04:43 PM
Is there a way to do a wainscot using a Vertically compound wall (not a stacked wall)? If you unlock the tile layer, it will work in some cases, but not if the wall is attached to a sloping roof. I can't figure out if there is a way to split the tile layer and tell it to only go 4' and make that a wall type. Is it possible? I'd have to make a new wall type for each instance where the tile goes to a different height, but I can live with that on my current project.

sbrown
2010-09-03, 07:36 PM
If its allways the same height just add a sweep profile to your wall assembly.

t1.shep
2010-09-03, 07:44 PM
If its allways the same height just add a sweep profile to your wall assembly.

True, but sweeps don't allow you to schedule their material.

Scott Womack
2010-09-03, 08:35 PM
If you apply them to the wall (outside of the Wall Definition) You can shdedule them.

t1.shep
2010-09-03, 08:39 PM
If you apply them to the wall (outside of the Wall Definition) You can shdedule them.

I'm not so sure about this...when I try to do our wall base as a Wall Sweep, their material won't show up in my schedule. The Wall Sweep is not part of the wall profile, it is done after the fact on individual walls. You may be able to schedule it, but the material assigned to it won't schedule.
Unless I'm wrong, in which case I would love to know what I'm doing wrong.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=94924&highlight=wall+sweep+material

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-03, 10:49 PM
I believe all they will *schedule* is Length, which is friggin rediculous.