PDA

View Full Version : Open Revit 2010 file with Revit 2009?

jastuccio
2009-10-27, 09:49 PM
Is there any way to convert files from 2010 so that they can be opened in 2009? At school they use 2009. Before taking the class I created a bunch of models in 2010. Most are about 75% complete because I got stuck. I would like to be able to bring them to school so I can get help with the areas I had trouble with. Is there any way to do this or am I out of luck?

Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2009-10-27, 09:55 PM
Short answer: No. You can try exporting from Revit 2010 using the IFC option and import it into 2009, but this would cause a lot of headaches...

Andre Carvalho

jastuccio
2009-11-01, 07:22 PM
Thanks Andre. I just recreated my model in 2009, but I would have been much happier if there was a way to save in legacy formats or the class had the most up to date software.

narlee
2009-11-02, 03:32 PM
...I would have been much happier if there was a way to save in legacy formats or the class had the most up to date software.

Me, too. One wonders how much the decision not to do legacy is software effort, and how much is business decision (captive customers/constant upgrade requirements). OF COURSE, I'm not a cynic...

david_peterson
2009-11-02, 05:03 PM
Me, too. One wonders how much the decision not to do legacy is software effort, and how much is business decision (captive customers/constant upgrade requirements). OF COURSE, I'm not a cynic...
That's their thought. You were forced to be on subscription, hence you should want to update every time there's an update, cause it's free right. Who cares if it actually work correctly, it's a "Free" update for being on subscription.

narlee
2009-11-02, 05:49 PM
I AM pretty cynical, and do believe the almighty buck is the prime driver (but that's free enterprise, right?).

On the other hand, I must admit I think the upgrades are (after they start working) are largely worth the price of admission.

I wish, wish, wish, tho, that they would cut people a break on the legacy stuff.

twiceroadsfool
2009-11-02, 05:51 PM
None of us were *forced* on to subscription, and i hope they continue the trend (that didnt start with autodesk originally) and continue to make things non-legacy compatible.

I cant stand the headaches surrounding features that arent present in past released of AUTOCAD when we save **** back. (Proxy Elements, ObjectArx garbage, Hatch running errant, annotative text going wild... Any of this ringing a bell?)

I also file it under "things i dont personally want development wasting time on." Theres too many better fish to fry. Just my two cents.

TroyGates
2009-11-02, 09:32 PM
From the beginning, Revit hasn't supported backwards compatibility. Also, the original Revit pricing model was entirely subscription based, it was a monthly subscription. When Autodesk purchased them it became a yearly subscription. Almost all architectural design software companies are now based on some type of subscription model. Its just how the industry has evolved.

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-02, 10:27 PM
As with all software, a development decision MUST be made early on whether or not to support legacy versions. Deciding to adds complexity to the development process, as each new functionality must be tested back and thus is sometimes stymied by limitations to past supporting structures (.NET, etc). The apparent history of Revit (I'm not in the know to confirm) suggests that an 'Onward and Forward' approach was decided upon from the start.

Interesting that Revit began as a monthly subscription - an early Software as a Service (SaaS) model? The current yearly subscription would be more palatable to me if both the base software and subscription costs were sliding based upon gross revenue - so the 1-man firm was paying a fee in a relative ratio to their production with the tool, instead of paying the same price as the multi-million dollar corporate firms. Says the one-woman firm. [grin]

cphubb
2009-11-03, 10:59 PM
Find a modern complex software package that is backward compatible without losing information?

Bentley - XXX
ArchiCAD - XXX
Vector Works - XXX
AFA - XXX
Tekla - XXX
AutoCAD - Sorta

Word - Sorta if you drop some items
PowerPoint - Says it is but not really

The list goes on. I think that the era of backward compatibility has ended. Welcome to the world of 2 week upgrades.:?

aaronrumple
2009-11-03, 11:23 PM
Interesting that Revit began as a monthly subscription - an early Software as a Service (SaaS) model? The current yearly subscription would be more palatable to me if both the base software and subscription costs were sliding based upon gross revenue - so the 1-man firm was paying a fee in a relative ratio to their production with the tool, instead of paying the same price as the multi-million dollar corporate firms. Says the one-woman firm. [grin]

The model was very use friendly. You could manage your Revit seats right from inside Revit (web browser). If you needed more - you paid for more. If you needed less - you paid for less. Month by month. No penalty for jumping back on the Revit wagon if you went on walk-about. Pay by credit card. All you had to do was run Revit once a month while connected to the internet. If you were in the desert with no connection, they mailed you a disk once a month with your license.

You could also have a "paid up" subscription which allowed you to keep using the last version of the software you had used been on subscription forever....

It was like the iTunes of CAD software..... Need it? Push buy....