PDA

View Full Version : Complex wall make up

kmatis
2009-11-02, 03:52 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to accomplish a wall that changes in it's construction makeup as it goes up to different stories. The base wall from interior to exterior is CMU, rigid insulation, air space and 4" stone veneer. The wall changes from interior/exterior on the 1st floor to int./int. on the 2nd floor and then back to int./ext. at the roof portion which is a sloped gable end. The common denominator that goes from ground to roof is the CMU but the stone and insulation want to get cut out in certain areas. I can't do a stacked wall family because there is no clean horizontal break between the different types. I tried to just place different wall types on top of each other and edit profiles to achieve the different shapes but the surface hatches from one wall to the next are off. I also tried doing one wall ground to roof with the full make up and cutting out the stone and insul. with a in-place wall void which seemed to work but the interior walls connecting into it would still cleanup at the exterior boundry where the void was. Does it make sense to do one CMU wall and then put a stone/insul. wall in front of it where it's an exterior wall? It's not technically correct because there will be two walls side by side and I would have to cut two openings at doors and windows.
Any help on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

jsnyder.68308
2009-11-03, 03:52 AM
You are on the right track with the multiple walls I think. I would model it the way its going to be built. If you join the two side-by-side walls, openings will cut through both walls.