PDA

View Full Version : Revit Crashes whenever I do a Save As

nsinha73
2009-11-03, 10:55 PM
Its getting really annoying....I can't figure it out whether it is REVIT or just my PC.
I had updated Revit recently with the new Update

Andre Carvalho
2009-11-03, 11:00 PM
Even if saving different files or saving at different locations?

Andre Carvalho

nsinha73
2009-11-03, 11:12 PM
Both...even a brand new file....crash crash crash!!!

nsinha73
2009-11-04, 01:04 AM
Some Error messages

wayne.120721
2009-11-04, 07:46 AM
I have been having the same problem for 2 weeks now with no answers, I have posted the problem on augi and the post seems to go missing, is there anyone from autodesk that can help. For me whenever the browser / explorer is needed revit crashes. Please somebody help save the life of an innocent computer as it is about to take flight.

samov
2009-11-09, 12:59 PM
The problem is your windows instalation. When you save, Revit calls a windows method to open the save window. This in it's turn calls others.

What crashes "the save window" aka "the explorer window"?

Well, if you save to a directory the has multiple files in it. The window tries to read all of them using handlers to display thumbnail views. Now if one of those handlers is broken OR the file it tries to read is corrupted it produces an error.

Think of them as movie codec... to see a movie (file) you need a way to open it. To generate thumbnails the file is read just a bit to see what's in it.

What you can do: 1. make sure the last directory you "Saved as" to has no files in it OR just revit files. Also make sure that you associated the right file type to the right handler Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

2. make sure your installation is clean. The best thing you can do, is create a NEW account, delete the old one AND click KEEP files. Then move these files to a Public directory. Recreate the OLD account and copy JUST what you need back.

3. Uninstall any software you do not need. Keep your computer clean.