PDA

View Full Version : Wall type - Function: Soffit?

barrie.sharp
2009-11-04, 04:26 PM
When would you use a wall type as a soffit? Are the functions just for schedules generally? I'm sure it's obvious but I don't get it. I have trawled through help and found:-

The value should be set to Soffit when the wall is attached to a ceiling. In this case, the attachment is made to the surface of the ceiling, regardless of the shape of the ceiling.

Not sure what that means. I can't make a ceiling that isn't planar and walls wont attach to inplace ceilings. Can anyone enlighten me?

bregnier
2009-11-04, 09:08 PM
I've never used this specific tool before but it seems to me it's for "hanging" walls that connect two ceiling heights. The toggle allows for the wall's base to be attached to the ceiling below, and slope as necessary to maintain a connection.

bregnier
2009-11-04, 09:14 PM
Never mind, just checked and it doesn't change that behavior.

barrie.sharp
2009-11-06, 08:55 AM
Never mind, just checked and it doesn't change that behavior.
That's how far I got. I wonder if someone from Autodesk can explain how it functions differently. So if it's for hanging walls, I presume that this just helps schedules to seperate it out?

Mike Sealander
2009-11-07, 01:30 AM
You know, I don't think there's really any difference between an exterior wall and an interior wall either.

Andre Carvalho
2009-11-07, 02:01 AM
You know, I don't think there's really any difference between an exterior wall and an interior wall either.

Not visually. But in Revit 2010 you can automatically filter from your views walls that are set to Interior or Exterior. Actually, not only walls, but Doors, Stairs, Floors and Ramps have a type parameter called Function added, so they can all be filtered from your views if set to Interior or Exterior.

Other than that, Exterior and Interior will define which layer the walls will be exported to when transferring your file to AutoCAD.

Andre Carvalho

Mike Sealander
2009-11-07, 12:27 PM
I wonder how many quirks in Revit are understandable after someone says "it's because of AutoCAD?
Nonetheless, good to know about the enhanced filtering. I've been delaying going to 2010 for what seems like years now.

barrie.sharp
2009-11-07, 04:20 PM
Not visually. But in Revit 2010 you can automatically filter from your views walls that are set to Interior or Exterior. Actually, not only walls, but Doors, Stairs, Floors and Ramps have a type parameter called Function added, so they can all be filtered from your views if set to Interior or Exterior.

Other than that, Exterior and Interior will define which layer the walls will be exported to when transferring your file to AutoCAD.

Andre Carvalho
Very usefull to know! Do you know what the help file is saying about soffits? Is it actually behaving differently?