PDA

View Full Version : Links, Binding and Interiors

brendan.225840
2009-11-04, 07:15 PM
I'm working on an interiors project where we need to do interiors material scheduling and signage. Unfortunately the IT head at the company that is producing the main model has decided that worksharing over the internet is not secure enough, so all we get are exports of their model on a regular basis.

I tried working with a linked model, but this doesn't give us the functionality we need for the schedule or for hosting our signage (a large amount of which is set up as a door family to bring in information from the rooms on the other side of the wall for the door signage).

Binding the file gives us the functionality we need, but when we update the original linked file, we lose pretty much all our work (which isn't a lot right now fortunately, but we can't keep redoing everything every time the Revit model is updated).

If a wall is deleted or moves and our signage is deleted, that's fine, I can deal with that, but having EVERYTHING disappear... there has to be a way to make this work, right?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate the assistance!

twiceroadsfool
2009-11-04, 09:03 PM
Links, and Face Based Families instead of Wall Hosted Doors.

You can set their Link to be Room Bounding, then place rooms in the same spaces they have. It will not stay coordinated, room coordination is a manual thing.

Thats pretty much the only way.

brendan.225840
2009-11-09, 04:57 PM
That's what I figured I would have to do. Guess I'll have to save my nifty new sign family for another project.
Thanks!