PDA

View Full Version : Floor and wall Joins

barrie.sharp
2009-11-09, 04:59 PM
I have attached apic with two conditions. This is a real project.

1. On the left I have Cavity CMU which I want to go to the foundation. If I Join them it goes to the floor structure. I could simply split the floor into one each side.

2. On the right I have a CMU spine wall with a brick footing on the foundation. I want the screed to go upto the CMU and the floor split by the brick. Joining doesn't work here either. I think that I could do these as seperate floors each side and model the screed as a seperate pair on top.

It's a shame you can't cut floors with walls. Should I devide the floors and lock constraints or would inplace voids do it perhaps? What is best practice here?

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-10, 03:29 AM
Hi Barrie,

You CAN do a void at the area you want to divide the floors, just be sure to Cut Geometry of the floor before you finish the in-place family.

My thoughts on the 'best practice' is that the model should reflect the intended construction - if this floor would be constructed as two separated areas, model it so. If it would be a single pour/assembly blocked around another element, then either modify the boundary linework to show where the form blocking would be, or use your proposed void method.

Hope that helps!