PDA

View Full Version : Groups - Some detail items appear not to be within the group yet they still are?

andymeyer50
2009-11-10, 04:14 PM
Our office is having issues when working with groups. We typically detail our building sections as one large group and then paste that group into all of the called-out wall sections. Therefore, as we update the detailing in the building section it automatically updates the corresponding wall sections. However, we are having several reoccurring issues where different detail components (ex: our 2D detail items for drywall, brick, cmu, flashing, etc, etc...) appear to not be apart of the group but when you click on them the entire group highlights and it it shows as part of the group. But then when you click "edit" to edit the group that component is not within the group. So then I tried to click "add" and added the component to the group witch seems to work but then when you click finish it goes back to appearing as it isn't part of the group. Has anyone had this problem? So far the only way I can figure out how to get around it is to delete the entire group and then replace the group. Any thoughts?

jamesgchambers
2009-11-10, 04:22 PM
When you hover over the group (when placed in the model), does it say "Members Excluded"?

andymeyer50
2009-11-10, 04:24 PM
yes it does...

jamesgchambers
2009-11-10, 05:31 PM
it's some wierd version control quirk w/ Revit. If you float-tab-click a member of a group, you can actually delete it w/o entering the group. Then it gives a warning saying "members of the group have been excluded/deleted" (or something like that).

I haven't had to deal with it recently, but I've fixed it in the past by duplicating the detail group, and using Select All Instances to set Detail Group 1 to Detail Group 2, then removing Detail Group 1 from the project. Technically, you can change it to another detail group and then back, but may result in the group jumping around.

Scott Womack
2009-11-11, 11:20 AM
At least in 2010, you should be able to select the group, right-click and if I remember roght, there is a right-click menu item that will restore all of the "deleted" items back into that group. I know this works with model groups, I have not tried it with detail groups.

mhenderson
2009-12-10, 05:21 PM
I'm having the same problem, but with model groups. We are grouping curtainwalls in order to be able to duplicate a particular curtainwall with a particular mullion pattern and then make global changes to that pattern. The groups are selectable in plan but in elevation you can only pick the group's components and there's no apparant way to get into the group editor or even determine which group the elements belong to. I copied the same group to a new project and the problem goes away (the group becomes selectable in all views). Thinking the problem was related to curtainwall systemsm I tried grouping other types of objects and seeing if I could select them in the elevations, but got the same result. Does anyone know if this is a just a Revit bug, or am I doing something else inadvertently that may be causing this problem?

Thanks

Using RAC 2010 64-bit

mhenderson
2009-12-11, 09:49 PM
Filed a Support Request and apparantly my issue stems from a program bug. The elevations that were the problem all had the 'Clip with line' feature checked under view properties. For some reason, that setting results in Groups being unselectable. Check any other setting and they are selectable again.

The tech said the development team is aware of the problem and it should be fixed in a future release.