PDA

View Full Version : File being accessed by someone else, only one person in file!

need4mospd
2009-11-11, 12:07 AM
I'm getting the message that says the file is being accessed by someone else and I'm the only one in the office using the file at the time! This is the 3rd or 4th time it's happened and I'm losing valuable time trying to figure out what's going on. I'll leave it up for 5-10 minutes just to make sure it's not held up on someone else loading the file or any other file access(even though I'm the only one in it), and it's still there. I've pulled up the worksharing monitor and it confirms that no one is saving or loading.

I've got 3gb of ram and the file is only 70-80mb. Q6600, Geforce 8800, solid computer.

Any help would be appreciated. It's also happened to one other project in the office from what I hear.

HELP!

Steve_Stafford
2009-11-11, 02:07 AM
I've seen this a few times in the past couple months. Close Revit and reopen it. Revit seems to apply a lock to the file and doesn't release it. Trying to open the file, it thinks it is locked by someone else. Odd..I'd have reported it if I had a clue what to tell them...waiting to see if it happens. I store a lot of files on an external hard drive and I'm suspicious that it has something to do with that, not sure yet.

swalton240189
2009-11-11, 02:38 AM
I'm getting the message that says the file is being accessed by someone else and I'm the only one in the office using the file at the time! This is the 3rd or 4th time it's happened and I'm losing valuable time trying to figure out what's going on. I'll leave it up for 5-10 minutes just to make sure it's not held up on someone else loading the file or any other file access(even though I'm the only one in it), and it's still there. I've pulled up the worksharing monitor and it confirms that no one is saving or loading.

I've got 3gb of ram and the file is only 70-80mb. Q6600, Geforce 8800, solid computer.

Any help would be appreciated. It's also happened to one other project in the office from what I hear.

HELP!

Are you getting the little lock icon?
It could be if your model is linked into another model someone in the linked model was saving to central.

need4mospd
2009-11-11, 07:42 PM
Well, this time it let me recreate my local this morning and it worked. This was not the case the previous few times. I still lost 15-20 minutes of work. If anyone has run into this error and has found a solution to it, please email or message me. It's really bugging me knowing that it could happen again at any time.

Thanks

FYI, I tried the following last night with no fix. Closing and restarting Revit. Opened under another user name on mine and other computer. Create a new local under the same user name on a different computer. Opening the central file directly. A few hits to the computer case and keyboard. I couldn't even save the local as a central file under the same name, I could change the name though(ie: File.rvt to File1.rvt).

ron.sanpedro
2009-11-11, 07:51 PM

HELP!

I have seen situations where Windows Server takes an inordinate amount of time to release a file lock, or actually fails to release at all. Windows XP as a Peer to Peer server will also exibit this behavior. Most of the in use by another happens when someone has opened the central file directly, but also sometimes when a Save to Central has hung for some reason. The fix being to log on as Admin and force Windows to unlock the file.
I have never heard of a way to somehow tell Windows Server to prioritize the unlocking of RVT files, but it sure would be nice to find a way. ;)

Gordon