PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issue - Windows 7 x64

patricks
2009-11-12, 02:27 PM
Not sure if this is a Windows 7 thing or common with any x64 OS and Revit 2010 x64 or what. Sometimes my ribbon will blink out and then come back. The project browser appears to extend up when this happens. Nothing changes or shifts in the drawing area, and the ribbon will come back when I move the mouse up into that area of the screen. Anyone seen this before?

twiceroadsfool
2009-11-12, 02:29 PM
I read on Revit Clinic that some people running Win7 through a Mac and Paralells was having trouble with the ribbon... Making sure Hardware acceleration was cranked up (either in hardware of vid card settings... i didnt read too closely as im not a mac user, or a win7 user, lol) seemed to help...

DaveP
2009-11-12, 03:37 PM
I've seen it happen.
Straight Win7 Pro, Revit 2010 SAP1

Same symptom as you, Pat. The Ribbon just turns black, and then re-appears when you move the mouse over it.
That and the Workshare Monitor not working are the only Win7 issues I've had.

gwnelson
2009-11-12, 04:13 PM
Yeah, similar graphics issues here, too. Accel disabled, tried several drivers, etc, etc. Annoying, but able to get work done in spite of probs.

William Troeak
2009-11-12, 05:24 PM
Interesting! When I was running Vista x64 I would see this at least once a day. Now I have been running Windows 7 x64 for about 2 weeks and have yet to see it.

patricks
2009-11-13, 12:04 AM
Just installed the latest nVIDIA Quadro driver, and still have the same issue. HW Accel on or off, doesn't matter.

While I haven't had any actual problems, it's just giving me the feeling that it's "unstable" and could come crashing down at any moment, despite having 16 GB of memory, new HDD, etc.

ron.sanpedro
2009-11-13, 01:12 AM
Just installed the latest nVIDIA Quadro driver, and still have the same issue. HW Accel on or off, doesn't matter.

While I haven't had any actual problems, it's just giving me the feeling that it's "unstable" and could come crashing down at any moment, despite having 16 GB of memory, new HDD, etc.

I wonder, do you still have the problem with Aero turned off, or at least transparency turned off, in Windows 7? I find all the bling to be needless "look at us, Just Like Apple" nonsense. And given the load things like transparency put on the graphics card, it could have an impact.

Gordon

STHRevit
2009-11-13, 01:48 AM
I have been having the same issue with Vista & 32 bit RAC 2010 SP2.
Luckily it is only on my home machine so no real issues.

patricks
2009-11-13, 05:40 PM
I wonder, do you still have the problem with Aero turned off, or at least transparency turned off, in Windows 7? I find all the bling to be needless "look at us, Just Like Apple" nonsense. And given the load things like transparency put on the graphics card, it could have an impact.

Gordon

I turned off transparency and will see how it goes.

I really don't like Aero turned off. For one thing, it makes my left side (primary monitor) contents bleed over about 10 pixels into my right screen. It's super annoying and just generally looks bad. I'm not sure if this is a documented issue or not.

patricks
2009-12-01, 02:08 PM
Well, changing to a different, non-Aero theme seems to do the trick. I just have to manually pull the edges of the Revit window to the edges of the display to keep it from bleeding over to the other display.

I have to say, though, that I don't like the looks of everything as well as with Aero turned on.

FYI turning transparency on/off didn't make any difference.