PDA

View Full Version : Change Parameter from Project to Shared

myBIMhero
2009-11-12, 09:14 PM
Does anyone know a way to change a parameter from project to shared?

I have downloaded the USG walls from their website. They have very useful information - Fire test#, Sound test #, STC, etc......

Problem is that those parameters are only good for the templates that contain those walls. It will transfer when I copy a wall into a project, but I'd like for those paramters to be shared so they can be in all projects.

any ideas?? Thanks.

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-12, 11:27 PM
Hey Thomas,

I think that would have to involve the API, somehow. I know I've tried to add a field as a shared parameter but the system sees it as a different bit of information (with the exact same name) and doesn't merge them together. In RA2009 I ended up recreating the parameter as shared, applying to the template, then manually transferring the USG wall data to my new SP. It was a pain.

Things may have changed for 2010. The new DBLink 2010 Subscription tool might be something to try here - you can export out project data to an Acess or ODBC database file, and IN THEORY you can modify the data and round-trip it back into the project. I've only experimented with the export from the model, not pushing data back in, but this could be a way to extract out the USG parameter and push it to multiple projects through their DBLink exported data, rather than having to open each project in Revit and paste in a USG wall.

Anyone attempted the DBLink 'round trip' of data, yet?

Steve_Stafford
2009-11-12, 11:49 PM
They'd need to redo them at USG and provide the Shared Parameter file for users to download as part of their package. This way anyone could add the same ones to their existing projects.

That said the only benefit of this is that you could then tag a wall with these values. When you copy/paste them into your project the project parameters come along. As long as you C/P walls into the projects you need you'll get the parameters. Do this in your template(s) once and you are all set.

You could probably get USG to do it if you set it up, swap out the shared parameters and send them the files. :smile:

myBIMhero
2009-11-13, 12:06 AM
Thanks Nancy & Steve!

You're right - since I am setting up the template now, it is transfering the data over to the template file. I am creating a base set of partition walls. It only occured to me because they already started a project while I am still getting the tempalte set. Plus I am finding a preference for shared over project parameters as it leaves your options open for later on. I wish they would all be shared. I'm annoyed at how key schedule data cannot be shared at all. That's not how a relational db works. I have most of my AU classes scheduled for API - figures thats my next step. Hope to see you out there. Thanks for the help.

nancy.mcclure
2009-11-13, 12:31 AM
I am finding a preference for shared over project parameters as it leaves your options open for later on. I wish they would all be shared. I'm annoyed at how key schedule data cannot be shared at all.

Ditto. I want teams to have the discipline of reviewing the SP file PRIOR to making a project parameter right in the model, to make sure you can leverage it across other projects for consistancy AND for the option to tag it for whatever diagrammatic purposes might be needed.

Key schedules would be one of my favorite things in Revit if I could use shared parameters, that is! And while we're musing, being able to use a Calculated Value in a formula..... ::sigh::