PDA

View Full Version : Filled Regions in Detail Componets

rrider
2003-09-15, 01:55 PM
Is there a way to set the the layering of filled regions of detail components (i.e. send to back) other than by the order in which you draw them? I guess that wouldn't be so bad except in order for you to get them to behave correctly in your project (masking of other objects) you need to draw the detail component in reverse.

rrider
2003-09-15, 02:24 PM
I can't seem to find a way to lock a filled region with it's family so that it's orientation remains true to the rotation of the component (i.e steel hatching). I f I rotate a stell hatched detail componet 45deg I loose the hatch completely

christopher.zoog51272
2003-09-15, 02:37 PM
Is there a way to set the the layering of filled regions of detail components (i.e. send to back) other than by the order in which you draw them? I guess that wouldn't be so bad except in order for you to get them to behave correctly in your project (masking of other objects) you need to draw the detail component in reverse.

You can control the draworder of filled regions and detail components after the fact, by selecting the object and using the buttonsthat appear on the tool bar "Send Backwards, Bring Forward, Send to Back, Bring to Front" :)

christopher.zoog51272
2003-09-15, 02:41 PM
I can't seem to find a way to lock a filled region with it's family so that it's orientation remains true to the rotation of the component (i.e steel hatching). I f I rotate a stell hatched detail componet 45deg I loose the hatch completely

To me, this sounds like you are lnot osing the hatch, it is just not visible any more becasue it is parallel to the object now. Revit drafting fill patterns do NOT rotate with the object they are on. The are always at the angle they were created, in your case 45 degrees. You could use a differnt fill pattern rotated to show correctly.

hth,
Z.

rrider
2003-09-15, 05:04 PM
[quote:24cb31fafb="rrider"]Is there a way to set the the layering of filled regions of detail components (i.e. send to back) other than by the order in which you draw them? I guess that wouldn't be so bad except in order for you to get them to behave correctly in your project (masking of other objects) you need to draw the detail component in reverse.

You can control the draworder of filled regions and detail components after the fact, by selecting the object and using the buttonsthat appear on the tool bar "Send Backwards, Bring Forward, Send to Back, Bring to Front" :)[/quote:24cb31fafb]

Let me a little more clear..... My detail component has multiple filled regions along with linework. I use a solid white filled region as a mask. I f I were to draw this mask first in my detail component, then put the other linework or filled regions on top of that it is all fine and dandy in the detail component. When I insert this into a project, the draw order is reversed so that my solid fill mask is on top of the all the other detail information in my detail component. This hides from view all that information, and because a detail component is a single object I can't reverse the draw order of the individual items that make up that detail component.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-09-15, 05:48 PM
You can control the draworder of filled regions and detail components after the fact, by selecting the object and using the buttonsthat appear on the tool bar "Send Backwards, Bring Forward, Send to Back, Bring to Front" :)
Let me a little more clear..... My detail component has multiple filled regions along with linework. I use a solid white filled region as a mask. I f I were to draw this mask first in my detail component, then put the other linework or filled regions on top of that it is all fine and dandy in the detail component. When I insert this into a project, the draw order is reversed so that my solid fill mask is on top of the all the other detail information in my detail component. This hides from view all that information, and because a detail component is a single object I can't reverse the draw order of the individual items that make up that detail component.
Ahhh, yes, sorry I though you were talking about indivual detail components, not several filled regions in a familiy. hmmm. well, that is a problem and should be submitted to the wish list. :(

If you post an image of what you are trying to accomplish with the detail compenent, maybe one of us can help come up with a solution using the current toolset?

dnilsson
2004-04-07, 08:20 PM
The way I have found to get around this is convoluted, but it works.

I create two detail components, one with the linework and one with just the fills. I actually create it all in one place then save it twice, deleting elements as needed.

I then create a generic model family and insert the two detail components. While there is no draw order tool in the family editor, the component inserted last sits on top, so drop in the fill first then the linework.

Save it and insert it like any other component. I do this a lot to build up families with front, side and plan linework.

If anyone has a cleaner way to do this, I'd love to hear it.

Chad Smith
2004-07-23, 04:39 AM
The trick to this as I just found out the other day (thanks Aaron), is to have the Filled Region Fill Pattern as 'No Pattern'. I know, it doesn't sound right, but it works.
I find you should only use a solid fill if you need to fill in an area of linework, not used as a mask for an entire detail..

Goto page 2 of this topic http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5299 for my comments.