PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal position of door frame when inserted into wall

b.boyes
2009-11-14, 05:57 PM
I'm having an issue with the position of my door frame when inserted into an external wall.
In the family editor, the wall thickness is obviously different to a real life varoius wall thickness. I'm trying to lock the dimension from external face of wall to face of door frame but do not wnat to strech the door frame. In other words I want the entire door assembly to be the same distance away from the external face of the wall no matter what the thickness of wall I use.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-11-14, 07:45 PM
You'll need to modify the family to include a parameter that controls the width of the frame. Once the frame can be sized independent of the wall you'll be able to lock it a set distance relative to the wall face.

b.boyes
2009-11-15, 12:18 AM
Thanks dimitri, I'll give it a go and see how I get on..

Scott Womack
2009-11-16, 12:48 PM
In the family editor, the wall thickness is obviously different to a real life varoius wall thickness. I'm trying to lock the dimension from external face of wall to face of door frame but do not wnat to strech the door frame. In other words I want the entire door assembly to be the same distance away from the external face of the wall no matter what the thickness of wall I use.

If you search these forums. I have posted one or more door families that do exactly what Dimetri and yourself have been describing. Mine are probably set up as interior doors, meaning that are held out from the face of the wall, rather than back. Fine that parameter/dimension in the family, and delete it. Move the "Face of Frame" reference frame back in from face of wall, and replace the dimension, and set it to the same parameter. Now the parameter will control how far BACK from the face of the wall the frame will be.

patricks
2009-11-16, 01:03 PM
I have a hollow metal "butt-frame" family that I use for exterior doors or doors in masonry walls, and a different hollow metal "wrap-frame" family that I use for interior doors in stud walls or masonry walls if I want a really deep frame on those.

For the exterior door family, I have a Door Inset parameter and a Frame Depth parameter, both instance-based. The Inset parameter measures from a ref plane locked to the exterior face of the wall in the family editor to another ref plane, and then the door panel and frame are locked to that 2nd ref plane. Then the Frame Depth parameter controls the sweep used for my hollow metal frame.

The opening cut in this family is equal to the door width plus twice the frame width. I have the Width parameter set to the actual panel width, and the Rough Width parameter is the size of the opening cut.