PDA

View Full Version : Topo to Piranesi

zanzibarbob7
2009-11-15, 06:34 PM
Is there a way to bring the Revit Topo into Piranesi in some sort of smoothed out fashiion, as opposed to triangulated surfaces? I currently export my Revit models to FBX but when I convert them to Epix files I get the collection of triangulated surfaces. In Sketchup you can smooth the surface, which works well with the epix file. Am I missing something?

trombe
2009-11-16, 10:04 AM
Is there a way to bring the Revit Topo into Piranesi in some sort of smoothed out fashiion, as opposed to triangulated surfaces? I currently export my Revit models to FBX but when I convert them to Epix files I get the collection of triangulated surfaces. In Sketchup you can smooth the surface, which works well with the epix file. Am I missing something?

You cannot edit this in Revit, (Revit will not express geometry in this way visually )but of course, there are many other programs that can alter this if you really need to.

Its a polygon issue but should not be a problem when rendered.
Can you just run it through SU first then into Piranesi ?
Have you tried rendering the topo in Piranesi as is to see the result ?
There might not be an issue with the current number of polygons, it just looks that way ?

regards
trombe

zanzibarbob7
2009-11-16, 01:28 PM
I have tried running it through Sketchup (topo) and you still have the triangulation. Using Sketchup, the only way I can see is to make a seperate TIN (topo) in Sketchup, then smooth it.

Triangulation only happens with the topo. If I create a compund curve roof in Revit>FBX>Epix>Piranesi, things work fine, no triangulation.

Site is one of Revit's worst catagories and it is frustation to get things to work and look good. I'm currently testing the new Piranesi 6 beta and have been pushing for a better workflow from Revit to Piranesi. Topo is just one of the issues. Thanks for the reply.

trombe
2009-11-17, 09:38 AM
I have tried running it through Sketchup (topo) and you still have the triangulation. Using Sketchup, the only way I can see is to make a seperate TIN (topo) in Sketchup, then smooth it.

Triangulation only happens with the topo. If I create a compund curve roof in Revit>FBX>Epix>Piranesi, things work fine, no triangulation.

Site is one of Revit's worst catagories and it is frustation to get things to work and look good. I'm currently testing the new Piranesi 6 beta and have been pushing for a better workflow from Revit to Piranesi. Topo is just one of the issues. Thanks for the reply.

No worries,
I notice topo out of Revit ends up with a triangulated polygon set as well as contour line polygons - almost like a dual layer set, and while you can smooth out the triangles in the main, the contour polygons remain...good thing is that it has no effect at all upon rendered output so is not an issue at all for me so far.
Hope you can get a suitable resolution for your problem.
trombe