PDA

View Full Version : We need this for Revit, Send in requests!!

david.kingham
2004-11-18, 05:29 PM
http://3dconnexion.com/
A guy in my office just got the spaceball 5000 for Viz, this is the coolest damn thing I've seen in a long time, they don't currently support Revit but with enough requests they will

Put in your request here please, power in numbers!
http://3dconnexion.com/contact_form.asp?find=1

Joef
2004-11-18, 06:24 PM
At $500 U.S.:eek: it had better be pretty fantastic.

david.kingham
2004-11-18, 06:26 PM
Holy cow I had no idea it was that much...I love this company, I put in the request and they will get it for me

hand471037
2004-11-18, 07:16 PM
An Inventor Guru I know uses the little portable USB one. It's like the size of a large bottlecap on a little mount. It was really nice to play with, and made it really easy to move around in Inventor. I asked him about Revit support, and he asked the Spaceball folks about it, and they said that they would *love* to add Spaceball support to Revit, but seeing that Revit doesn't have an API and doesn't have a 'hook' for them to write a driver they simply can't do it unless Autodesk decides to add Spaceball support to Revit...

PeterJ
2004-11-18, 08:32 PM
Didn't we have this very same discussion about this product or something similar previously and agree that mouse functionality should be external to a program? Surely all that is required is that commands from the navigation device are translated into a fashion that the OS can pass to Revit, thus any time you touch the space mouse or a similar thing it simply prefaces whatever command it sends with "pressing third button now".

I know it's not quite as simple as that but it can't be that far off can it?

Last time the matter came up I think you argued, Jeffrey, for a mouse movement command system like Truespace.

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-17, 07:04 AM
I was talking to the people at the HP booth at AU about this who tell me that they're planning to make it work with Revit for the next release. Dunno who has to work with whom but it sounds like the ball is in Logitech's court and they're playing it.

Andre Baros
2004-12-17, 02:58 PM
I've always been a bit curious about these things... what exactly do they do? Do they just allow you to constantly pan and zoom or is there more? Is there a video demo somewhere?

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-17, 05:29 PM
They honestly feel a bit weird to use and frankly the basic shift-middle-button spin-and-walkthrough tools are good enough for most users.

This device allows motion in and out and sideways and spinning all around - sort of like having the dynamic view tool's walkthrough and examine mode all in one device.

robert.1.hall72202
2004-12-17, 05:56 PM
I have one and it doesn't add enough "extra" functionality to be worth its weight.
At any sensitivity setting, you can hardly touch the device and the view changes way too much. Not sure if it is a good fit for any AutoDesk product??? Maybe it would work better for someone else.