PDA

View Full Version : Multiple materials on one object

noah
2004-11-18, 05:34 PM
How do I change the material by face? For instance I want to chagne the standard Revit double-hung window so that the interior sash has a wood material and the exterior has a clad aluminum material. Ideally, without having to add new geomtetry in the window family. I guess what I'm trying to do is something like Viz sub materials by face.

Another example is I have a 2x10 floor system with a foundation wall underneath and exterior wall above. I want the sides of the floor to have an exterior siding material to match the wall above. Right now it is just grey. Maybe in this case the the exterior wall (siding only) above should be stretched down to cover the 2x10 floor?

Thanks

stuntmonkee
2004-11-18, 06:23 PM
If i understand right, you will need to use the "paint" tool and maybe "Split Face". Both in the tools menu and are the icons to the left of demolish and "edit cut profile"

sjsl
2004-11-18, 08:31 PM
For the DH window or any window if built properly, pick the window/door, pick properties, edit window type. You will see the sash and frame in the dialogue box.

Just click the sash parameter and it will take you to the material dialogue. Choose whatever mat. you want.

Do the same thing for the frame or glass.

If you need to keep the original window just duplicate and rename before changing.

It's all done in the Properties dailogue box.

frame
2004-11-19, 02:30 AM
In the context of family geometry, each solid has only one material, which can be made a type or insance parameter. Thus, the default sash cannot have two materials assigned to it because it is one object. To use different materials for each side, you need to edit the family and make an interior and exterior object that represents the sash.

Or, if this is just for rendering purposes, change the material of the sash when you do the interior and exterior shots.

Arnel Aguel
2004-11-19, 07:21 AM
I guess what I'm trying to do is something like Viz sub materials by face.

What you are trying to achieve can be done in revit by using the paint or split face tool as what stuntmonkee said. You can apply a material by face using the paint tool.

It is some sort of sub-object selection by face in viz whereby you can apply different material by face even though it is just one object. The main difference is that in viz it is more flexible and you have total control of your uvw mapping of materials.

adegnan
2004-11-19, 12:47 PM
A similar discussion in this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=64539#post64539

frame
2004-11-19, 09:35 PM
Paint and split face only work on system families like walls/floors/roofs while working in the project. However, if you open a family, you can also use the split and paint tools to work on individual faces.

Phil Palmer
2004-11-20, 11:55 AM
I would love to see the paint option available for all families within a project.

Sometimes you want to 'quickly' change a families colour rather then going back to the family file, as it may be just for a quick look.

alpfra
2004-11-20, 02:10 PM
If i would have the feature to change a face material for a family, i do this:
i define a instance material parameter, and when i use paint command in the materials list i select the parametric material.
So when i insert the family in a project i can select from properties dialog the parametric material.

Nevine
2004-11-20, 03:47 PM
Another example is I have a 2x10 floor system with a foundation wall underneath and exterior wall above. I want the sides of the floor to have an exterior siding material to match the wall above. Right now it is just grey. Maybe in this case the the exterior wall (siding only) above should be stretched down to cover the 2x10 floor?

Thanks

In case of the floor, you should pull your floor in by as much as the exterior siding thickness and extend the bottom of the Exterior wall siding down to cover the floor. This is the correct way of building and is the correct way to represent it in Revit.