PDA

View Full Version : Demolition

bob.86982
2009-11-17, 06:27 PM
In remodel projects I start by creating an asbuilt and then demolish and add on as needed. My question is I would like to be able to preserve the asbuilt without showing the demolished items. Is there a way to do this or do I just need to do a save-as of the asbuilt and create a new project for the remodel?

chris.macko125036
2009-11-17, 06:35 PM
You can set the phase to existing and it shouldn't show any of the new construction or demo. (You might need to mess around with the phase filters too)

bob.86982
2009-11-17, 07:01 PM
Yes, but the previous phase shows the existing and nothing where the demo is.

timsea81
2009-11-17, 07:35 PM
Yes, but the previous phase shows the existing and nothing where the demo is.

It sounds like you did your demolishing in the existing phase. There's a variety of ways to set it up, but here's what works for me:

objects:
existing to remain: created in existing phase, not demolished
things you want demo'd: created in existing phase, demolished in new work phase
new work: created in new work phase, not demolished

views:
existing: existing phase, show all
demo: new work phase, show previous and demo
new work: new work phase, show all

If you are using the 'demolish' tool, it will set the objects you demolish to be demo'd in the phase you are in in that view. Therefore, if you want to set it up the way I describe, make sure you use the tool in a view that is set to new work phase.

bob.86982
2009-11-17, 08:42 PM
Thanks, still a little confusing. When I use Show all or complete in the existing view it shows all of the existing model complete. I had my existing view set to show previous.

bulletproofdesign
2009-11-17, 09:57 PM
I agree,

It sounds like you are demolishing in the current phase.

Firstly, when you create your asbuilt, check under view properties that the phase is set to existing and phase filter to show complete. Rename the view Asbuilt.

Second, Duplicate the view, 'with detailing' if you have notes to carry across.

Thirdly, under view properties, set the phase to new construction and rename the view.

then you can demolish in the new construction to your hearts content.

The asbuilt will remain untouched. Anything you demolish in the new construction view will disappear. Anything added to the new construction, will not be added to your Asbuilt.

Peace

PS.. Be aware that wall joins between existing and new can affect the Asbuilt and it can take a bit of time making the wall joins work properly. Also wall joins in the new construction end up acting strangely, due to the location of walls in your Asbuilt.

bob.86982
2009-11-17, 10:38 PM
Thanks, maybe if I get my views setup this way in a remodel template I can keep things where there supposed to be.

bulletproofdesign
2009-11-17, 11:07 PM
Thanks, maybe if I get my views setup this way in a remodel template I can keep things where there supposed to be.

Great idea. Once you start working on your first template, you will find the phase process starts to make more sense and saves hours of time.

I have set up templates for my most common projects, i.e. single level, two storey, single level renovation, etc..

If you have existing and new setup correctly, then you can jump straight into modelling. anything created in a view, has its creation phase set to the views phase.

If you want you can even have your views presetup on sheets to minimise duplicating tasks...

Oh REVIT, opiate of the draftng/modelling world..... Give me more!!?!