PDA

View Full Version : circular buildings and sections....

Martin P
2004-11-19, 09:32 AM
Ok simple question, I had hoped Revit 7.0 would have adressed this but hasn't as far as I can see - all I need to be able to do is snap to a section when I pick the move command, that is it!!

I have a building with a circular footprint. How do I cut a section that goes through the centre point?

Phil Palmer
2004-11-19, 09:44 AM
Martin,

What about placing a wall directly on the centrepoint and then is you use the elevation tool you can point to that wall face and that will create a section at that wall poistion ?

Martin P
2004-11-19, 10:23 AM
Its the same problem as the section tool unfortunately - I cant snap to it and place the cut line exactly where I need it. Its particularly annoying as I have been requesting a solution to this for a couple of years now, I have come across this problem every time I do anything with curves and arcs for walls :(

When I have a circular footprint (or in any situation really) I should be able to put a section precisely where I need it. at the moment It has to be "eyed" in - very poor .....

I wonder how more complex designs are done without the ability to place a section line accurately? I imagine it can be very critical in some complex designs to know exactly where your section is..

Phil Palmer
2004-11-19, 10:37 AM
Martin,

Can you place a gridline exactly on the centrepoint.
You copuld then use a 'framing' elevation
I think that cuts directly on the gridline

Martin P
2004-11-19, 10:46 AM
Framing elevation, is that new to 7.0? will have a look - thank you!!!

edit - How long has that been there??? Never noticed that "attach to grid" option before! thank you, thank you - I will post the building soon on the gallery, its just started today - round with conical roof....

Phil Palmer
2004-11-19, 10:52 AM
Its located in the structural design tab
They have been there for a long while - cant remember how long though ?

Mr Spot
2004-11-21, 11:03 PM
You don't necessarily have to use a grid either.... You could also use a named reference plane...

narlee
2004-11-21, 11:19 PM
A regular elevation works. In the Properties Box, under Associated Datum, choose the named reference plane.

Chad Smith
2004-11-21, 11:52 PM
One other thing with curved footprints and sections, is if you create a sweep around the curved footprint, and then when you try drawing linework in the section, you can't snap to that curved object.

papurajx
2004-11-22, 03:13 AM
I should be able to put a section precisely where I need it. at the moment It has to be "eyed" in - very poor .....

You cannot draw a section line precisely, parellel to any reference plane drawn at an angle other than increments of 90. This is definitely a shortfall in Revit's functionality.

beegee
2004-11-22, 03:42 AM
[You cannot draw a section line precisely, parellel to any reference plane drawn at an angle other than increments of 90. This is definitely a shortfall in Revit's functionality.But the framing elevation achieves the desired result, albeit without the appearance of the section marker.

A regular elevation works. In the Properties Box, under Associated Datum, choose the named reference plane.Narlee, I'm not seeing that working. ?

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-22, 04:06 AM
You cannot draw a section line precisely, parellel to any reference plane drawn at an angle other than increments of 90. This is definitely a shortfall in Revit's functionality.As a workaround, you can place the Section horizontally and then use the rotate command to rotate it to exactly the same angle assuming you know what that is.

GuyR
2004-11-22, 04:22 AM
You cannot draw a section line precisely, parellel to any reference plane drawn at an angle other than increments of 90. This is definitely a shortfall in Revit's functionality.

This shows a section line snapping to the reference plane or am I missing something?

Guy

Nic M.
2004-11-22, 07:46 AM
Guy,
the snapping is only parallel to the ref. line
its not exactly on the ref line.
its it?

GuyR
2004-11-22, 08:39 AM
its not exactly on the ref line.

You can't align a section to a reference plane at 90 degree intervals either so I assumed the statement was referring to the angle snapping.

I agree being able to align to a line/grid/object would be useful. Most elements in Revit can snap, so it does seem strange sections can't. Perhaps it's a performance issue?

To add to the snapping of sections I'd add being able to snap a line to a section through a topo. Would make things easier for recession planes etc.

Guy

papurajx
2004-11-22, 12:09 PM
This shows a section line snapping to the reference plane or am I missing something?

Guy

I checked in Revit 7.0 and it snaps to the reference plane as shown in your sketch, which I wasn't aware until now. It definitely didn't work with Revit 6.1. Thanks, GuyR.

papurajx
2004-11-22, 12:12 PM
As a workaround, you can place the Section horizontally and then use the rotate command to rotate it to exactly the same angle assuming you know what that is.

Thanks, Steve_Stafford. This was exactly the workaround I used in Revit 6.1 to align the section to an angular refernce plane.

Phil Read
2004-11-22, 12:38 PM
I believe you can also snap to these points as well (for rotation, move, etc.).

All the best -

Phil

Nic M.
2004-11-22, 01:56 PM
Phil

Phil you did it again,

select section
Move
Hover over section head / tail
press tab (magenta rectangle)
click
and move to any exact location

Great, thanks Phil

Martin P
2004-11-22, 03:57 PM

All the best -

Phil

Thats what I wanted :) thank you for pointing that one out - I always tried to pick the section line, not sure why I have never tried anywhere else!

Should add this thread to tips and tricks.....

narlee
2004-11-22, 04:21 PM
Hi Beegee,

A regular elevation works. In the Properties Box, under Associated Datum, choose the named reference plane.

Narlee, I'm not seeing that working. ?Beegee, if you make a reference plane in front of and parallel to an elevation symbol, then name it something. Then go into the elevation Properties dialoge and find and instance property called Associated Datum. Click on the drop-down arrow, you will find list the reference plane you named. Choose that one and the start of the elevation will be at that reference plane.

Geof Narlee.

GuyR
2004-11-22, 06:38 PM

Phil's the man. However :-) It begs the question if the section lines are aware of there end points why can't we snap when we create the section?

Perhaps an item for the wishlist...

Guy

beegee
2004-11-22, 09:05 PM
Hi Beegee,

Beegee, if you make a reference plane in front of and parallel to an elevation symbol, then name it something. Then go into the elevation Properties dialoge and find and instance property called Associated Datum. Click on the drop-down arrow, you will find list the reference plane you named. Choose that one and the start of the elevation will be at that reference plane.

Geof Narlee.
Yes, that's what I mean, - I'm not seeing a datum with which to associate a standard ( as opposed to a framing ) elevation ( in 7.0. )

I place an RP at some obtuse angle, then name it, then place a standard elevation and attempt to associate it with the RP, but do not get the named RP in the drop down.

papurajx
2004-11-22, 11:12 PM
Narlee's method works only when you draw the reference plane parellel to the elevation symbol but I don't see any advantage of this.

papurajx
2004-11-22, 11:16 PM

All the best -

Phil

Thanks for the nice Tips....Dr. Phil ( Doctorate in Revit Technology)!!!