PDA

View Full Version : parapet "sweep" along crenellated wall top?

tonyr.233722
2009-11-23, 09:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out how one would draw a "crenellated" parapet that also has a "sweep" on the vertical face.. in other words, the crenellated wall top would become an "extrusion path" for my profile...

how does one do this?

ws
2009-11-23, 10:20 PM
Not sure if it's what you mean but the (pretty rubbish ;) ) attached shows a crenellation made by making a generic in-place family via a solid extrusion, creat the cutouts with voids cut from the extrusion, then create a sweep solid and pick the path in a 3d view by clicking on the line edges of the 'crenellations'.

I just wondered if the sweep would work on the up and downs - and it does fine.

FWIW I seem to recall that real old crenellations don't always have the molding go up and down around the cutouts but run along the top of the crenellations and stop and start at each opening.

Anyway, hope that is some help.

tonyr.233722
2009-11-24, 07:23 PM
yes - that is exactly what I'm talking about.. I'll see if I can figure out what you said now.. lol

patricks
2009-11-25, 12:35 AM
lol is that a British term for that type of wall form? I've never heard of that before. Just looks like a castle wall. Building a moat, too? :mrgreen:

ws
2009-11-25, 08:32 AM
I think it derives from Norman French (i.e. as in 'Normans' from Normandy in present day Northern France, people of viking origin, who invaded England in 1066 and hence had to build a lot of castles) originally and means the same as battlements.

I came across this game site which has a neat illlustration of battlements (crenellations) ;)
http://www.stronghold-knights.com/site/article199.html

Phil Read
2009-12-09, 04:15 PM
Rather than modeling the solids, you could also also model the wall to the top and then use a generic model void family to notch out the openings (think window - but without the window). This will allow you to quickly control the openings without going into sketch mode. And if the shape of the opening needs to change (or become parametric) this is a simple task.

And because you can't create a family that will schedule as a host element (like a wall) in the project.

-Phil