PDA

View Full Version : Surface Pattern Files

cgrover
2003-09-15, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know where Revit "stores" the surface pattern's for the different materials? And can you add .pat files to this location so you can use your own patterns?

Thanks in advance.

Grover

mlgatzke
2003-09-15, 09:44 PM
Each project holds it's own pattern files. Individual pattern files can be imported as needed. Revit's pattern files follow, roughly, the same format as AutoCAD's. If there's a pattern file you want in all your projects - import the pattern file into the Revit project template.

cgrover
2003-09-15, 09:51 PM
I understand they are supposed to work like AutoCad, but if you go into Settings, Materials and use the pull down menu for Surface Pattern...where are those stored or how do I get the one I want to use to show up. I have several .pat files that I'd like to use, where do you import those to? I tried Load Family, Import and neither of those worked.

Thanks,

Grover

Allen Lacy
2003-09-15, 10:00 PM
To create model patterns (or suface patterns), take any AutoCAd .pat file open it, and add ;%TYPE=MODEL at the beginning. In your data file (C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit 5.1\Data) there should be a revit.pat file. Open this and you may understand better than I can explain. HTH.

cgrover
2003-09-15, 10:03 PM
Thanks,

I think I found what I was looking for. When I open the Fill Pattern dialouge box and select custom, it allows you to import a .pat file and this seems to work. I need to work on the scale of the .pat file, but I'm getting closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Grover

slb
2003-09-17, 02:13 PM
There's an FAQ on this called Changing a drafting fill pattern to a model fill pattern
(http://revit.autodesk.com/pillar/custserv/web/service/support_4.0/faq_navigator/right3.asp?id=1-YLJ0)

mlgatzke
2003-09-17, 10:40 PM
Steve,

Haven't seen you in here for a while. Are you planning to attend AU this year? How about anyone else there?

slb
2003-09-18, 12:50 AM
I've been lurking daily...

There will be plenty of us Autodesk Revit folks at AU this year, It's very unlikely that I'll be one of them, though.