PDA

View Full Version : We love Revit

Wes Macaulay
2004-11-19, 04:21 PM
It's almost completely superfluous to mention it, but man...

I love architecture, and people I've worked with ask me when I'm going to pick up the hammer again and work in a firm again. Well... perhaps when Revit achieves some sort of market saturation in our area... But for now, I can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything else. Bob and I have been talking to local firms for two years, and it's been hilarious to keep hearing Bob say, 'this is so cool'... he's stoked, we're stoked, everyone's stoked.

And then every release that comes out adds new got-to-have-it goodies. (And yes, a few bugs that the developers quickly squash.)

It would have seemed a disservice to the software to not be doing what I'm doing. I try to forget the dorky moniker of "application engineer" and simply get out there and show people how much more fun their job can be.

ajayholland
2004-11-19, 04:42 PM
It would have seemed a disservice to the software to not be doing what I'm doing. I ... simply get out there and show people how much more fun their job can be.
Wes,

I totally agree. I wonder if I will ever want to just do the architect thing again. It's rewarding to be the one to bring enlightenment to the oppressed. :grin:

Scott Davis had a great success story to present at the SCRUG meeting last night. Perhaps it's already posted.

BTW, David Conant was our guest.

~AJH

Haden
2004-11-19, 05:51 PM
Wes,
I wonder if I will ever want to just do the architect thing again. It's rewarding to be the one to bring enlightenment to the oppressed. :grin:
~AJH
I agree wholeheartedly with both of you, but I do beg to differ. If there's one thing more fun than bringing enlightenment, its practicing within the enlightened sphere! I have always teetered between developing architectural applicaiton tools in the firms where I have worked & training the in-house people, and just doing the practice of architecture with the tools I (or in this case the Revit creators) developed, when those tools truly do work the way they should.

As an example: During my 10-year stint with the home office of HOK architects here in St. Louis, I started out in the structural engineering department. I quickly found myself breaking out of the mould there, since drafting is typically done by non-engineer structural types, unlike the way we architects tend to do our own drawing. As a design engineer, I got involved in the process enough to develop customized routine to lay out concrete pan-joists and steel beams in a framing plan using HOK Draw and its wonderful command language (much better than Lisp ever hoped to be), not unlike the great new structural beam system tool in Revit 7.0. The drafters loved the tools I developed, and hated to give them up when AutoCAD edged out HOK Draw. (Reminds me a little of the Romanesque period of architectural history!)

But now, with Revit available, I am more than happy to eat what's put on my plate, instead of having to be the cook (in a software sense, not an architectural sense). I have waited for years to be able to not have to be a developer of customized vertical applications simply because there wasn't really software that understood architectural and engineering design and production, and just sit back and do architecture the way I have always known computers could and would be able to make possible.

..enough ranting for today....

Wes Macaulay
2004-11-19, 09:33 PM
That's very true, Haden, and the enjoyment of using software that needs no customisation is great enough that if my firm is wiped out tomorrow, I can go get a job assembling buildings in this great software.

If it were not so important for people to see this program, I wouldn't be doing this. But I see people staying late at their jobs, frustrated people, and I think 'it doesn't have to be that way'. I've been looking for something like Revit for so long, that I just have to show people how it works.

Scott D Davis
2004-11-19, 09:44 PM
I get the enjoyment of using Revit at the office in an Architect's role, and the enjoyment of 'showing it off' here at AUGI, and other forums, as well as user group meetings. I totally understand where Wes is coming from! Luckily, I get to experience a little of both worlds!

Martin P
2004-11-19, 10:36 PM
I get the enjoyment of using Revit at the office in an Architect's role, !

Just as much fun for us non architects too :) My boss loves to spend 10 minutes scribbling down some rough ideas then see them very shortly afterwards as plans and 3D's - more scribbles on the print outs and hey presto! Revit lets us wow clients so easily - though I dont let on that its quite so easy! LOL... Shadows on elevations, haha!! Cant wait to get some of those out.

The laptop license is the greatest thing for me, I get to do my overtime - as I am doing now, at home with a nice bottle of red and winamp playing some good music...... I actually like doing this on Friday night and I sometimes cant believe I am getting paid to do this. I think of myself as a pretty lucky man when I am singing/sipping along and working/playing at the same time :)

The boss winds me up about paying me to drink wine and play on my computer at weekends, but he is always V happy with the results - and probably the lack of overtime I actually claim!! the point between working/learing/playing becomes a bit blurry sometimes ;), especially at the weekend. But I do tend to do it for pleasure, if that doesnt sound too odd. I am even 'allowed' time here through the week - I dont have to hide my explorerer when somebody comes into the office - this place (and the previous forums) are where I have learned most of the good stuff.

Haden
2004-11-19, 11:29 PM
The laptop license is the greatest thing for me, ... at home with a nice bottle of red and winamp playing some good music...... working/playing at the same time :)

I too, take advantage of a similar arrangement (maybe without the bottle of red as often, unfortunately), although I just had to upgrade my laptop by a factor of about 3x in cost, but it will more than pay off for me in the long run. I think we have hit on the future of architecture, if we're careful to promote this to all in the profession, and continue to convert the ACAD 14+ holdouts, both as a software paradigm as well as a lifestyle/workplace culture issue.;-)

Martin P
2004-11-20, 11:35 PM
(maybe without the bottle of red as often, unfortunately)

I am just waiting to be able to claim the botle of red as an out of office expense, then I truly will be a happy employee ;) LOL - well he does pay for may caffeine through the week! - If I could get my home PC upgraded through the office that would be nice too, maybe not far off with that one - to buy me a new PC taxwise for the boss is cheaper than an actual pay rise......... win win, will probably be my suggestion at next pay review :)

And its now Sat night, and I am still doing overtime! - more to do tomorow too..... Just as well I like doing this ;)

Personally, the longer it takes every firm in my town to convert to Revit all the the better for us.... Maybe not the best for Revit, but I hope they all take years too catch up! we are leaving a dust trail in our wake at the moment, we have a couple of competitors who are still using drawing boards......

BomberAIA
2004-11-21, 01:11 PM
Revit allows me to be a "one man show." I don't have to put up w/ employees and can do what I want. I've been on my own since 1982 and on Acad since 1985. Since then I've been looking for a better way to produce projects since Acad was very disappointing. Now I have and it's REVIT! Not only is Revit far superior in 3D but also in 2D drawing. I'm now designing & drawing site plans w/ Revit in 2D. That's my 2 cents.

Wes Macaulay
2004-11-21, 03:55 PM
Personally, the longer it takes every firm in my town to convert to Revit all the the better for us.... Maybe not the best for Revit, but I hope they all take years too catch up! we are leaving a dust trail in our wake at the moment, we have a couple of competitors who are still using drawing boards......Revit is still a Secret Weapon for many firms, though surprisingly many firms in our area are not really keeping it a secret. The skepticism that many firms have currently is being replaced - slowly - with the realisation that some of their competitors have a card in their hand that may help them win the draw.

The main obstacle in Revit's growing popularity IMHO is a lack of understanding of the software's capabilities and ease of use.