PDA

View Full Version : Material takeoff problem

adnama
2009-11-28, 11:03 AM
I'm trying to do a material takeoff from walls but I keep getting a blank schedule.

What I'm looking for is the total area of each type of material (rather than a list of every instance of each material, so I have that checkbox turned off in the sorting tab). See attached.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Ning Zhou
2009-11-28, 09:35 PM
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=110878&referrerid=120257

adnama
2009-11-29, 11:10 AM
Nop, I still don't get this - do I have to create a calculated value which totals up each material?

Scott D Davis
2009-11-29, 04:47 PM
In the Sort By box, make the schedule sort by name (rather than none), then look at the schedule. Should be filled out.

adnama
2009-11-29, 08:08 PM
When I sort by name, that does sort out the items in the the Material Name column, but there are now NO values in the Material Area column.

BTW - I'm using an Autodesk building example to test this procedure on!

Scott D Davis
2009-11-30, 04:10 AM
That's because the Material:Area parameter is wanting to list the individual area for a particular material. Since you are grouping them together, the individual area is shown blank because there are multiple instances. You probably need to leave "itemize instances" checked, so it shows the individual areas, and then you can "show totals" and get the total area for a particular material at the bottom of the list.

adnama
2009-11-30, 08:48 AM
I don't understand this. Is there no simple way of itemising the total area of each material without also itemising the individual instances of that material?

Surely that is ultimately what a material takeoff is all about!

barrie.sharp
2009-11-30, 09:39 AM
Hi Paul,

If I have interpreted your problem correctly then the attached pictures should help.

You need to sort by Type/material and tick the footer box - this groups the materials and gives a place for each total to appear. Then under formatting, tick Calculate Totals for the Material Area so that Revit knows what Totals you want in the footer. Up to you if you want a grand total.

adnama
2009-11-30, 10:43 AM
Thanks Barrie, that sorted it.

I couldn't sort by type as I wasn't given that option, but the Calculate totals under Formatting give me just the totals for each material, which is what I was after.

Thanks again.