PDA

View Full Version : Stair problem

nealmac1978
2009-12-03, 02:32 PM
Hi all.

I'm pretty new to the world of Revit, having just made the dreaded switch from AutoCAD. For the most part I'm finding it pretty easy going which is a blessing.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a stair like the one shown in the image I have attached. Basically, the stair starts out as normal, and splits in 2 directions after the 12th riser. Can anyone tell me how this can be done while avoiding tearing my hair out at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Neal.

cliff collins
2009-12-03, 03:13 PM
I would try building separate stair runs, not trying to create the L-shaped stair with one single sketch. Then mirror the short run about the centerline of the main run.

The curved base and railing will be a bit tricky.

Give it a try, and then perhaps post an example .rvt file for us to take a look at.

Also,
See if this resource from Autodesk University might help in doing complex stairs with Revit:

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=e_class&session_id=5380

cheers

nealmac1978
2009-12-03, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Haha, that's actually what I just tried to do. A bit of work involved, for sure but it seems to be working.

How do I make the landing? Do I need to do it independently of the 3 seperate stairs?

As for the curved bit of railing, it was pretty ok. The only bit I'm having trouble with is getting the balsters to reach the floor. How do I do this.

I'll post a .rvt file when I have it looking a bit more presentable.

cliff collins
2009-12-03, 05:05 PM
You can model a floor as the landing.

good luck!

nealmac1978
2009-12-04, 01:26 PM
That sounds like a plan. So I basically model a piece of floor, and give it the same material as the stair? Will it look "blocky"? Could I add a nosing to it?

(Sorry for being an annoying n00b).

cliff collins
2009-12-04, 02:02 PM
You can use a Slab Edge, with a custom Profile for the nosing.

Look in the Help under Slab Edges and Profiles.

cheers.........

nealmac1978
2009-12-04, 02:03 PM
Thanks Cliff. All sorted now.

nealmac1978
2009-12-07, 10:34 AM
Bugger. I have 2 new problems.

First off, how do I get my handrails to join up at the corners?

Secondly, How do I get the bottom portion of the handrail to rest on the floor?

See attached: