PDA

View Full Version : Light and Ventliation

noah
2004-11-20, 01:01 PM
I posted this over at Revit City but only got replies that misunderstood my question.

In NY's code, all bedrooms are required to have a ratio of window opening to floor area. 8% for light and 4% for ventilation. So if I have 500SF bedroom I need windows that in total have 40SF of visible glass and 20SF of opening.

So, calculating room sf is easy. Adding parameters for light and ventilation for windows is easy (product literature gives us these tables).

Question. How do I create a schedule that does the calculation for me? Basically pull only the rooms that contain windows with values set for L & V. Sort the schedule so that you see all the windows in each room grouped together with a total SF of window L & V. Finally, do the math to calculate the %.

Seems like Revit should be able to handle this within a schedule. However, I can't figure out how to get the Area parameter into a window schedule so that I can do the math. Grouping and filtering the windows isn't a problem if I use a multi-category schedule (group by room, filter for only windows that have lite/vent variables). But, the area of the room is not an available field in the multi-category shcedule.

If I start with a room schedule then I have the Area field and can create shared parameters but I can't figure out how to bring in the window instances.

I know that Revit can export to ODBC, bring into Access and generate some reports in there. I'm not a database geek and I'm hoping that Revit can do this function within the program so that I can put this L & V schedule right on a drawing.

Thanks!

PeterJ
2004-11-20, 02:33 PM
I just asked the same question right here: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=10404&highlight=window

I don't think it possible yet.

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-20, 05:53 PM
I've discussed this code related need several times over the last few years with support. They understand the issue. It isn't possible inside Revit right now unless you are prepared to enter some data manually and keep it current. As you'll see in the thread Peter mentioned I've experimented with this using ODBC and it is labor intensive and still requires a lot of manually data entry.

I suspect that this is something future Mechanical features may accomodate? Till then, it remains a "stick in the eye" of professionals submitting their work for approval and permits.