PDA

View Full Version : Wall Join Throwdown

jsnyder.68308
2009-12-04, 07:53 PM
Maybe this is the perfect storm for wall joins in Revit - an inside corner with 4 different wall types (2 interior and 2 exterior) intersecting. Can anyone explain the cleanup behaviour that is being exhibited in the example attached? While I certainly am not trying to justify the architectural rationale for the wall alignments contained in the example, I cannot figure out how to get this wall intersection to clean up the way it should. Any ideas?
I have included a project file (2010) with the example for anyone interested. Thanks.

cliff collins
2009-12-04, 08:19 PM
Kinda like this?

cheers

jsnyder.68308
2009-12-04, 09:34 PM
Not exactly. The interior cores of the two horizontal walls in your example align (see attached picture for what the designer actually wants to do). You cannot cheat by trying to line things up as though they might actually make sense.

cliff collins
2009-12-04, 09:48 PM
close but no cigar..........

so much for trying to make sense!

I think you can achieve the desired effect with a bit of patience.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-04, 10:03 PM
Here is the closest i got. To snip off the last little bit of GWB and Metal Stud, i would just use Edit Cut Profile in a detail view.

When the wall join is too complex for Revit to automate it, set the walls to disallow join, run them over one another, and then use Join Geo, where order of selection = order of dominance.

Its still off a tiny hair because one face of the south masonry wall doesnt sit flush with the north walls sheathing... Hence the edit cut profile i would use.

twiceroadsfool
2009-12-04, 10:05 PM
Here it is, replete with Edit Cut Profile to clean it up. Only take two minutes if you disallow and manually join geo.

jsnyder.68308
2009-12-04, 10:11 PM
Thank you both. You have confirmed I wasn't missing something obvious. In reality, I would guess that this wall intersection would probably be drawn incorrectly even if the designer was using lines, especially once the third dimension and all the re-entrant material changes are considered. Hopefully this problem will just get value engineered out of the project...;)

dcretsinger
2009-12-04, 10:14 PM
Not exactly. The interior cores of the two horizontal walls in your example align (see attached picture for what the designer actually wants to do). You cannot cheat by trying to line things up as though they might actually make sense.

Maybe like this.

A couple of disallow joins here, a couple of join geometrys there and you should be able to get it.

Is that what you were looking for?

Wes Macaulay
2009-12-07, 08:05 AM
This version has the GWB clean-up you might be looking for. I've added some notes in the file.

patricks
2009-12-07, 02:05 PM
I got it to cleanup with all automatic joins still enabled.

1. pull the 2 smaller walls away from the 2 larger walls. Let the 2 larger walls remain joined.
2. Drag the end of the right wall to the joined corner of the 2 other walls. GWB on the north side will jump back away from the corner.
3. Select the right wall (or with it still selected) and click once on the grip in the joined corner. The join condition will change.
4. Drag the bottom end of the upper wall to the corner.

Is that what you're looking for?