PDA

View Full Version : Reference Plane from 3 points?

jpyeatt
2009-12-07, 02:57 PM
I have a mass.
I need to cut the top off of this mass.
I have 3 ref-points that are defined by the mass and a given point. I need these to create either a ref-plane or other object. This object will then be used to shear/cut/subtract the top of the mass.

However, the 3 ref-points have different Z-heights and I can't seem to make it work. Can some Revit-genius give me a hand? Thanks much!

(See attached)

JP.

jeffh
2009-12-07, 03:25 PM
You can select 2 points at a time and use the "spline through points" tool to connect them. Once you get the 3 slipnes lin place you can select them and use the "make form tool" to create a plane. Now you can use the "set work plane" tool to select the triangular form you created. Now draw a void form on this plane that will cut off the top the way you need it too.

Attached is a example image (I tried to replicate what you had) showing the plane I created from the points and a rectangle I would use to create my void form to cut the top of the tower off. I also included an image of the tower after the viod cut is made.

P.S. I just realized you don't even need the "spline through points" tool you can just use the line tool to connect the points, you just have to make sure the "3d snapping" toggle is turned on in the options bar.

jpyeatt
2009-12-07, 07:40 PM
That did the trick... thanks!

Each of the ref-point Z values are tied to a parametric value, so now I can move the clip around with reckless abandon and without any drawing/modeling whatsoever. Fantastic.

jeffh
2009-12-07, 09:20 PM
That did the trick... thanks!

Each of the ref-point Z values are tied to a parametric value, so now I can move the clip around with reckless abandon and without any drawing/modeling whatsoever. Fantastic.

These conceptual modeling tools aren't so bad after all. :-) Glad it worked for you.