PDA

View Full Version : Change Phase Color As Phase Completes

myBIMhero
2009-12-07, 07:38 PM
I have a project in which the exterior of the building will be replaced in 20 phases (hospital) and we want to show how the phases will progress. We would like to have the model (very simple exterior walls, windows, doors, and sweeps) start off in a light grey. All elements in current phase would highlight yellow and all elements completed would be white. We would make a jpg of each phase and put them together in a series so that the building changes from grey to white. I encounter 2 problems - I cannot make the elements belong to the phase they are worked on because future phases will not show up. If I make them all (E) (first pahse), then they will show as the same color as completed. Of course I have 2 days to make this happen!!! Any help, ideas, thoughts, words of wisdom????......................... Thanks RAC 2010

DaveP
2009-12-07, 07:55 PM
Welcome to Phasing in Revit!
As you've found out, Revit really only sees two Phases. New and Existing.
ANYTHING in the past is seen as Existing, and Revit can't see into the future.

Probably the only way you're going to be able to do this is to creates separate Views for each Phase & color them the way you want.
Then compose all of the Views on a Sheet. Revit will snap the Views into alignment with each other, so it should be a simple process to compose several Views on one Sheet.
There is no "Send to Front" in this process, though, so you'll have to be careful with the order you place the Views.

myBIMhero
2009-12-07, 08:15 PM
Thanks Dave. I have only worked in new projects that had one or two construction phases. Since this is a remodel, I have to build each element twice because revit will not show future phase elements either. Since it lumps all past phases together, I tried to create a paramter (Y/N) to indicate if it was completed work. I thought I could use filters somehow. That didnt work. I was just thinking the same thing - leave it all in the same phase and manually graphics override for all elements. This is only for an RFI so I am not concerned with it being a pure model for phasing.

hermeytheelf
2009-12-08, 05:06 PM
You could create a workset for each phase and then assign all of your elements to the appropriate phase. Then control the materials in visibility graphics by overriding the display of an entire workset at a time.

msullivan
2009-12-08, 08:16 PM
You could do it with view filters instead of phasing. Add a parameter such as "Sequence" (1, 2, 3 etc) and create a View Filter within Visibility/Graphics to apply the colors to each sequence as they progress.

Phil Read
2009-12-09, 04:05 PM
You could do it with view filters instead of phasing. Add a parameter such as "Sequence" (1, 2, 3 etc) and create a View Filter within Visibility/Graphics to apply the colors to each sequence as they progress.

Agreed. Parameters and View Filters are the way to go. Joins will make you crazy across phases for this kind of stuff.

Create an Instance Parameter. It may have to be assigned across multiple categories (not just walls). You can then assign a numeric value (01-20) to the elements.

Now you'll be able to color code a view based on the assigned parameters.

Regards -

Phil